Author
Topic: Counterfeit Graded as Authentic  (Read 4946 times)
Oldbucks
    • Oldbucks Web site
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:26:15 pm »

Last week at the weekly Heritage auction, I purchased a Fractional Currency 2nd Issue $.50 Fr. 1317. I was happy to buy it, receive it, admire it.....and scan it...

As I was scanning the note, something didnt look right about George Washington. It looked as if he had a face make over. I took a closer look at the fonts, mumbled a few explatives and was convinced,  it was a counterfeit.

What makes this interesting is that the note was certified by PMG as Choice AU58 EPQ. A nice grade in my opinion, that I was thinking saved me hundreds. The note is so well centered, but you take a look at what I saw

Portraits of George Washington. Notice the shape of the face. That was the first indication.

real

fake

The next sequence of scans are from the upper right side of the Obverse.

real

fake

Look at:

the "States" ,
then on the left side, the scroll work,
then the beading around the "50".

The engraved lines in general are not sharp as they should be. Second the engraved fonts do not have the same balance of white and black areas.
Other parts of the note showed similar differences. ie the Locomotive, cargo and mule.

I did not even try to do an analysis on the reverse

Since this PMG Graded.....this is a perfect case of "buy the note and not the holder" It stumped, PMG, Heritage and at first me, but then In my due diligence, I found it. And have been receiving some nice offers for it. Sorry I am keeping it!

Jeff

Here are pictures of the note.....hey its got an EPQ designation too!

Real Fr.1317

Counterfeit Fr. 1317

"Monstra Mihi Pecuniam" - Member of the Society of Paper Money Collectors - SPMC
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:53:17 am »

it was a counterfeit.
What makes this interesting is that the note was certified by PMG as Choice AU58 EPQ. A nice grade in my opinion

Maybe the two "FAKE $100's" should be sent to PMG for grading.  Who knows what they may be worth  ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:09:36 am »

Maybe the two "FAKE $100's" should be sent to PMG for grading.  Who knows what they may be worth  ???
No, definitely not. They should be turned into the police. You said that yourself, Squid.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:41:34 pm »

No, definitely not. They should be turned into the police. You said that yourself, Squid.

Yes I did say that.  But only you didn't realize it was a joke ;D

[edit]Removed caps. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:35:05 pm by BWJM »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length