Author
Topic: Curious about US $5 and $20  (Read 5131 times)
Dottir
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:37:12 am »

These will be going into the bank for deposit tomorrow too but know nothing about US money and thought I'd post the serials here in case any of you see anything worth mentioning about them. I rarely come into US money (other than coins all the time in change as we're close to US border I suppose)

$5 - series 2006 - HF 05886137 A
HB - Cabral/Henry something or other I think

$20 - series 2004 - EH 20181635 B
HB - Merin/Snow

Dottir.
Dottir
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:20:50 pm »

FYI the US dollars out of my hands now so these particular ones back in circulation.

I find US paper money is VERY confusing with all of the numbers and letters printed in various places.

As mentioned, I rarely have US dollars cross my hands, but if and when I do, should I bother to post the numbers in here? I assume that the special numbers variations (radars, repreats etc) works the same for collectors of US as for Canadian???

"Star" note means "asterisk" at the end of the serial number and they represent replacement notes, am I correct?

Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:19:16 pm »

RE  US  notes:       
         (1)  Correct:  a  "star  note"  is  indeed  a  replacement  note  (since  1910),
exactly  like  a  Canadian  asterisk  note.
         (2)  Yes,  there  are  quite  a  few  American  collectors  of  very  low  serials,  "solid"  serials,"  and  "radar  notes"  (which  have  exactly   the  same  definition  as Canadian radars  except they  are  8  digits  instead  of  7).  However,  the  concepts  of  "shoulders,"  "rotators," "repeaters"  etc.  have  not  yet  caught  on  down  here. 
          Hope  this  helps you.                  Bernard Schaaf

Login with username, password and session length