Author
Topic: Journey $20's: ATM or Over-the-Counter?  (Read 7685 times)
jonathan
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:25:19 pm »

Just got a question concerning the new $20's...

Will most financial institutions put their first shipments of new $20's in the ATM machines, or will they have them available over the counter as they get released? :-/

See what you think. :)

Bye 4 Now ;), Jonathan
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 01:07:29 am »

Well since $20's make up 95% of the contents of all ATM's, then they will go in the ATM's.

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 11:07:01 am »

But the question of the hour is...

Will they go in the ATM machines first, before they are available "over the counter?"  I don't really have a bank card to get the new $20's if they are only in the ATM's after its release.

I'd really want to get my hands on the new $20's when they come to NL!

Jonathan
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 11:10:32 am by jonathan »
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 11:42:01 am »

They'll go in the ATM's when they're empty and need to be refilled.

jonathan
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 03:19:33 pm »

Thanks for the info, Marc.
I will try my very best to get my hands on the new $20's when they come to NL.

Jonathan
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 01:41:01 am »

Here is what I have found from the great people at the bank:
Most of the new $20s go straight into the ATMS, its just alot easier that way.  ATMs have 2,3, or 4 cartridges where they fill up the notes, and they usually are loaded in the morning. (The day will probably be different for each bank, but usually when the cash order comes in- what I have found is that it is usually Friday at some time, so there is enough $$ for the weekend).

What I have been able to do it this:  I have a direct line to the cash cage at RY at a few branches, and I know which day they order, and when it comes in... So I give them a call before hours on the direct line, and ask the wonderful lady on the other end : "Any new $20's goin into the machine today?"  (Of course I am no stranger to them)  If the answer is Yes, then I say, Thanks I ll be there right away.  Then I get there, and just wait by the ATM, and after the machine is no longer "temp out of order" (when they are balancing it), be the first person to use your debit card and take out a good $200 or so.  (Providing they put the New bills at the front of each cartridge, with the low # end closest to the front).  That way, when the machine kicks in, it will take out one bill to "test" that its working, (the 1234000 bill), and then the next ones will be the replacement ones, if there are any.  The next transaction will take it out of the next cartridge, so make sure to take enough out to get them all!  This will save them alot of time from them working with bills with you at a till, so they will like that- just makes it easier for everyone.

So,...Let them know what your looking for and ask if you can give them a call, and hey, if they have 3 new bricks, all they have to do is put them into the front of the top 3 cartridges and ta-dah! You got some replacement bills!

And make sure to bring them some Tim Horton's coffee for helping out...

PS: If they cannot fit all the new $20s in the ATM, ask that they keep the low end of the brick handy... Thats where the inserts are.

Anyone else have any tips??

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Slugboy
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 04:29:27 am »

Well since $20's make up 95% of the contents of all ATM's, then they will go in the ATM's.

I had a strange experience with Journey $20s and the ATM. A couple of days after the bill was released, I was clamouring to see a new $20. My brother and I went to the Manulife Centre in Toronto and he used the Bank of Montreal ATM and got a whole fistful of Journey $20s!!! Of course I immediately traded one of my Birds for a Journey. So, about a week later, I needed to withdraw some money, so I went to the Manulife Centre to do so. Unfortunately, the machine my brother was using was occupied, and since I was in a hurry, I used another one and got some crisp, clean, fresh . . . Bird notes. They looked brand new---the OCDs weren't worn at all and they were flat.

Anyway, some time passes and I go back to the Manulife, in the hope of getting some Journeys. I go to the same ATM as my brother went this time, withdraw money, and get . . . more Birds!!! >:(  Again, they were crisp and clean, as if new.

Can anyone explain this? Did the BMO branch discover that they had some unused Birds "cartridges" lying around and wanted to get rid of them? The ATMs at another BMO branch in Toronto also emit Birds (but worn ones, which I can at least understand).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 04:30:11 am by Slugboy »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 06:21:04 am »

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:09:35 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 07:03:25 pm »

And remember, if you take out money right after another guy, yours will be coming out of a different cartridge.  

Not necessarily.  I had to do multiple withdraws after another.  I kept getting $20's from the same AYV run.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 10:42:30 pm »

I also second Marc's response.  

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 11:22:46 pm »

You have to know your ATM!   ;)

The one I know and love gives out UNC $20's all the time, but it has a quirk:  All of the notes will come out in sequence except for one note.  This single note is always flipped from the rest of the notes.

Example:  Withdrawl $200 (10 notes).  9 notes will be Queen face up, signatures at bottom left corner.  The 10th note will be Loon side up but upside down (serial numbers at top).  The 9 notes will all be in sequence, but the flipped one can be any serial number.  Usually it is the same prefix and in the same number range.

The ATM is consistent no matter how many I withdrawl.  I've tried $40, $100, $240, $500; the pattern remains the same.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
jonathan
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 12:01:18 am »

Are there any other ATM's, other than TD Canada Trust, that dispense $50's?
Jason
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 12:07:23 am »

SOME CIBC machines do.  If one does, there is a sign above it indicating that it gives out $50s.  It is red.
Slugboy
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 12:12:12 am »

Are there any other ATM's, other than TD Canada Trust, that dispense $50's?

One of the Bank of Montreal ATMs at the Manulife Centre in Toronto used to dispense $50s. Unfortunately, there was no sign informing you of this---the only way you'd find out is if you told it to withdraw cash and it put up a menu saying "$50, $100, $150, etc." instead of "$20, $40, $60, etc."

As far as I can tell, they retooled it to dispense $20s---I guess a lot of people were annoyed at getting $50 bills that no one would accept.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 05:49:06 am »

You have to know your ATM!   ;)

The one I know and love gives out UNC $20's all the time, but it has a quirk:  All of the notes will come out in sequence except for one note.  This single note is always flipped from the rest of the notes.

Example:  Withdrawl $200 (10 notes).  9 notes will be Queen face up, signatures at bottom left corner.  The 10th note will be Loon side up but upside down (serial numbers at top).  The 9 notes will all be in sequence, but the flipped one can be any serial number.  Usually it is the same prefix and in the same number range.

The ATM is consistent no matter how many I withdrawl.  I've tried $40, $100, $240, $500; the pattern remains the same.

That is very strange.

Login with username, password and session length