Author
Topic: Are you still collecting Journey Insert/Replacement notes?  (Read 4955 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

This thread is really ONLY for people who collect insert/replacement notes for the Journey series. It is not a place where I want members opinions about why they don't collect them because that has been discussed before and I don't want this thread to go in that direction. Thank you in advance.

I am just curious as to how many collectors are still actively pursuing insert/replacement notes to add to their collection regardless whether they are still collecting other notes as well.
I have seen some very new members starting to collect them and the usual reason I seem to get is that they are still accesssible, fairly well obtainable (in a finacial sense) and something that they can try to keep up with as they come out. Some tend to stick with a certain denomination only, but others will try to get whatever they can. I know a lot of people are waiting for the new catalogue to come out this July to see where these notes are going and how the prices will reflect as to whether they bought well or not.

Anyways, if you do collect these notes, I would be interested in your opinions, thoughts and maybe predictions if these notes are something that you will be continuing to add to your collection, hold off on buying until you see what the market demands are, or stop all together.

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
50monarch
  • Every note gets me one step closer to Cayman
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:55 pm »

I started collecting asterisk and "X" banknotes on top of the regular notes because I liked the fact that they were more rare than the regular notes.  When the Journey Series came out, I decided to focus on them to try to get each of the replacement/inserts.  Just as you said, they are/were readily available and reasonably priced.  I don't like the fact that the current replacement/inserts are not using the asterisk or "X" to identify them as such...it's hard to remember all the different ranges.  :P Now throw in the SNR...GEEZ!!!  ???

I keep my collection to the $20 denomination and below, however if I stumble across one on a higher denomination, I'll snap it up.  My goal is to have one replacement/insert for each range and for the $5, $10 and $20's.  I stick to the sheet replacements, however I have purchased a few SNRs, but it is not my focus, plus the fact that there are so many of them (see AOH).  Some of the SNR become Sheet Replacements and vice versa...so I buy the Sheets and hope that they become SNRs.   ;D

I will continue to purchase the replacements/inserts as they become available.  I suspect that they will increase in value much like the other replacements in the past.  I want to get them now, because I feel they may become too expensive for me in the future.  I'm just glad that I got all of the 1937 Osbourne's combinations between the $1 and the $20 a few years back...look at the prices now.  :o
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:30:22 pm »

Hi Members

Being a brick hunter i have been facinated by the replacements that  are coming out.  I decided to collect replacements because yes the value is going up and believe that the notes will increase on a steady basis. 

As a hunter, i have noticed though that there are fewer and fewer replacements that are showing up in bricks.   Possibly better printing methods or what I am not sure.

You will be lucky if you find 1 in a brick nowadays.   In the last 25 bricks, i can probally say i found less then a handful of replacements.( that is 1 hand)  I have had  a dry spell here and even asked if anyone has found the new BTL sheet replacements.    I have not recieve any replies.

When I see that  Gilles has confirmed  that there is a  40 K range ,There is definately not as many as there was previously.  I don't think thousands or even hundreds.  I think that we are going to see fewer and fewer replacements and prices going up because of the scarcity.

Sure it is always a no brainer to know that the X notes or asteriks notes are replacements, but you have to trust the avid brick hunters that the notes that are found in sealed Bank of Canada  wrappers are truly replacemnents.   We follow the same protocol as they have for years.

We as collectors have become more and more knowledgeable on the replacements with help from Huds, Xavier,Sudzee,Gilles,Squid, Slathereigh etc etc etc. 

Dealers are a little skeptical on replacements in my opinion because they  don't see one that sticks out like a sore thumb(X and Astericks).  The ranges are so varied and they are just not as informed as some members on the forum are with this.  That will probally have to change in the near future as now we have heard that SNR,sheets will be in the 21st edition of the catalogue.

There are new and younger collectors everyday and they can relate to journey notes.

I think there is a lul  in collecting right now but there was  a slowdown also just befor the  new book came out.

Remember last year, in the book we saw, rotators, repeaters and new grading systems .  This year it will have to be replacements.  That is my opinion. 

Cheers

Polarbear
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:45:31 pm »

Due to financial constraints I'm on a little sabbatical from searching right now, I do enjoy collecting Journey replacements and my kids and nephews are growing up with these journey series currently in issue so they may eventually become interested in the years to come. So I hope to hold at least two of each to pass on to them. Even with all the effort and expense I still get a little thrill finding a replacement, besides you never know what you'll get in a given brick.  ;D

Dei Gratia

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
abyss
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 08:57:47 am »

I started to collect Journey inserts fairly recently, and I am slowly building up a collection that I hope some day will be a prized possession for my son.  The reason I went this route is because I seem to be able to keep up a little easier with notes currently coming out than having so much to chose from that came out in the past. That being said, it is still no easy feat on a limited budget.  Unfortunately I can only put aside so much a month to purchase these notes.
Some of the sellers, and one in particular has been extremely helpful in providing me up to date lists and holding notes until the end of the month so that I won't lose them just because I don't have the cash at that time. He has even sent me notes before I have even paid to see if they are exactly what I want . I guess you can't beat that service.
Well right now I eagerly await the new catalogue to see if I bought anything that will give me that confidence to continue my pursuit to build this collection even faster. As we all know, sometimes saying no to a note when offered may be the last time we will have a chance to buy it again.  I sadly learnt that when I was offered an AOR and had to turn it down.  :'(  I should have taken the installment plan offered. Well hindsight is always 20/20. I just hope I learnt for next time.

ABYSS
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:10:52 am »

As we all know, sometimes saying no to a note when offered may be the last time we will have a chance to buy it again.

I know this all to well. It's not that I haven't learnt....it's just that I can't afford to buy everything I want ;D

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 11:12:30 pm »

I prefer collecting * notes and X notes. I do collect inserts but only sheet issued. I will not touch SNRs! If i had a large sum of money, i would put it on buying say a *V/V, an *FB or perhaps a devils face Repl. rather than an insert. Most inserts i collect are those i find in my change, many of the journey $20s are really not hard finding.  :-\

Login with username, password and session length