Author
Topic: Cost Of A Brick  (Read 24019 times)
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:46:28 pm »

Do bricks cost face value, or do they cost extra  ???

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:57:49 pm »

Do bricks cost face value, or do they cost extra  ???

Different charges apply to getting a brick and they are not always easy to get, if not impossible....I'm sure that many brick searchers, including myself can agree to that.  I  personally know some are paying upwards of $60.00 per brick and have heard even higher. Getting a NEW sealed brick at face would be lpretty rare, but it has happened, but don't expect it to be common.   But if you want already searched bricks I would be more than happy to get you as many as you want at face ;D
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
jtfrogger
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:24:18 am »

How (and where) do you get an unsearched brick?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:06:56 am »

How (and where) do you get an unsearched brick?

You get the bricks from your bank, if and when you do get them. However, some banks will not be  bothered because it is just not worth their time and aggravation.
The problem for me I found was not getting the bricks....the problem was trying to give them back.  Security issues are usually the excuse that is used...money laundering, and bank employee security by having to much cash in a branch at one time.  It is just getting tougher and tougher, and I assume this is why less and less people are able to brick seacrh now....

jtfrogger
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:08:36 am »

I have tried to get uncirculated bills from my bank, and was told that they couldn't guarantee the bills would be new.  They would only give me what came out of their machine.  I did only ask for 100, not 1000.  When I asked them about getting uncirculated bills, the teller didn't know.  She did ask her manager, but he didn't know either.  He suggested trying the post office, since they sell uncirculated coins.

In terms of depositing the money back, what about depositing it in chunks?  Say 100 or 200 bills at a time.  Would that be a problem?  I could easily make five deposits in an hour at five different banks in my area.

I would love to give this a try, but I am quite unsure how to really get started.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:09:17 am »

How much money is in a brick that has $5. Is it $5000

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 11:25:01 am »

How much money is in a brick that has $5. Is it $5000
yes $5000.00 per brick of $5 notes

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 11:31:35 am »

When I asked them about getting uncirculated bills, the teller didn't know.  She did ask her manager, but he didn't know either.

They know.... they just like to play stupid because they can't be bothered to do the paperwork. To time consuming.

Getting rid of 5k is not a real problem, but the more banks you deposit NEW bills to they get suspicious and accounts can be flagged. It depends on the quantity you get and the quantity you try to bring back. Anything over 10k gets reported so they is a trail that is flagged and kept track of...
Bottom line is that they don't want to do anything extra out of there normal routine unless you happen to have a manager that you have been dealing with and is willing to provide you that service because of who you are or the business you have had with their bank.

Its not always easy....but it definitely is more fun than buying lottery tickets ;D

jtfrogger
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 01:09:03 pm »

Sorry, about all the silly question, but this really interests me and I am new to this.

So, when you get a receptive bank manager, what do you have to do?  Do you have to order it in advance?  If so, how long does it take?  You mention that bricks are rarely found for face value.  Is the rest a bank service fee?  Or is it a bribe to get someone to go through the paperwork?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:47:39 pm »

Sorry, about all the silly question, but this really interests me and I am new to this.

So, when you get a receptive bank manager, what do you have to do?  Do you have to order it in advance?  If so, how long does it take?  You mention that bricks are rarely found for face value.  Is the rest a bank service fee?  Or is it a bribe to get someone to go through the paperwork?
The manager will know how to order new bricks and the fees vary depending on how much they want to deter you from coming back.  In most cases there is a charge per bundle regarless of denomination. The real cost is when you bring it back and they have to count it and rebundle it. This is what they hate doing

jtfrogger
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

Thanks for the help.  I'd like to try getting a brick of $5.  That is about as good of a place to start as any.  I will probably have to wait a month or two.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 02:59:48 pm »

Thanks for the help.  I'd like to try getting a brick of $5.  That is about as good of a place to start as any.  I will probably have to wait a month or two.

GOOD LUCK but it is addicting ;D

Deehong
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 01:56:36 pm »

They know.... they just like to play stupid because they can't be bothered to do the paperwork. To time consuming.

Getting rid of 5k is not a real problem, but the more banks you deposit NEW bills to they get suspicious and accounts can be flagged. It depends on the quantity you get and the quantity you try to bring back. Anything over 10k gets reported so they is a trail that is flagged and kept track of...
Bottom line is that they don't want to do anything extra out of there normal routine unless you happen to have a manager that you have been dealing with and is willing to provide you that service because of who you are or the business you have had with their bank.

Its not always easy....but it definitely is more fun than buying lottery tickets ;D

I currently have 3 bank accounts CIBC, PC bank and Sotica bank, If i get only get bricks at one bank, and deposite in the other 2 they can't flag me would they because i'm depositing new bills?
Tjs_43
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 02:26:17 pm »

Different charges apply to getting a brick and they are not always easy to get, if not impossible....I'm sure that many brick searchers, including myself can agree to that.  I  personally know some are paying upwards of $60.00 per brick and have heard even higher. Getting a NEW sealed brick at face would be lpretty rare, but it has happened, but don't expect it to be common.   But if you want already searched bricks I would be more than happy to get you as many as you want at face ;D
FRIEDSQUID

I have been silently watching this conversation and other conversations about brick hunting, getting more and more obsesses with the idea, so I went to my bank yesterday and ordered a brick of fives. Nobody said anything about a charge, I wonder if that will come up when I go to pick it up in a week. Did the $60.00 per brick include any fees for returning it?
Deehong
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 02:37:51 pm »

I have been silently watching this conversation and other conversations about brick hunting, getting more and more obsesses with the idea, so I went to my bank yesterday and ordered a brick of fives. Nobody said anything about a charge, I wonder if that will come up when I go to pick it up in a week. Did the $60.00 per brick include any fees for returning it?

Which bank did you go to?

Login with username, password and session length