Author
Topic: Cost Of A Brick  (Read 24086 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 04:49:45 pm »

The only note is the radar...The others are really nothing special just so you realize that they are not worth keeping unless you like the number for some reason

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Tjs_43
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 01:40:00 am »

thanks, that's what I figured but I was surprised by how many almost good notes I found so I kept the ones that annoyed me the most. They will slowly get spent ;) Except for the one with all 6s and 9s, I like that one.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 05:39:04 pm »

Well that was short lived  Here's what happened with my first experiences brick searching. ..

I placed another order yesterday and today the bank manager called me to say it would be the last time they'd order me any new cash. She said the cost of security dropping off and picking up the bills was too high for the branch to be able to make this a regular thing

Let's see if I get a real, new brick on Monday. I really, really want one but my prospects don't look good...

That is regretful but not all branches are the same. Perhaps that branch doesn't circulate enough cash to justify ordering new cash on a regular basis. I've had that experience with one branch. The one I am using now is located in a busy retail district so they do regularly order new cash so they are willing to order for me. 

Good luck anyways

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Tjs_43
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 02:41:18 pm »

The one I am using now is located in a busy retail district so they do regularly order new cash so they are willing to order for me. 

Good luck anyways

Thanks  :D

The manager that phoned me suggested a few bigger branches that might help me out . My only worry is traveling on public transit round-trip with a giant wad of cash. There's usually almost no chance of me getting robbed but with a 5 or 10 grand I'd be sweating, looking around all shifty-eyed and nervous and probably attract trouble  :o
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2008, 03:37:16 pm »

The manager that phoned me suggested a few bigger branches that might help me out . My only worry is traveling on public transit round-trip with a giant wad of cash. There's usually almost no chance of me getting robbed but with a 5 or 10 grand I'd be sweating, looking around all shifty-eyed and nervous and probably attract trouble 

If you are worried about leaving the bank, just get the cheapest SDB you can get.
That way every time your bricks come in just ask to get your SDB and go into the private rooms they have and search your bricks there. Onece your done pull what you want and return the rest at that time. That way you don't have to worry about those shifty eyed people. I assume you were talking about lawyers ;D

Tjs_43
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2008, 04:32:58 pm »

If you are worried about leaving the bank, just get the cheapest SDB you can get.
That way every time your bricks come in just ask to get your SDB and go into the private rooms they have and search your bricks there. Onece your done pull what you want and return the rest at that time. That way you don't have to worry about those shifty eyed people. I assume you were talking about lawyers ;D

That's brilliant. I have access to my family's SDB but it hadn't occurred to me.

And I don't know very much about lawyers, I was talking about myself  ;)
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2008, 08:49:22 pm »

The manager that phoned me suggested a few bigger branches that might help me out . My only worry is traveling on public transit round-trip with a giant wad of cash. There's usually almost no chance of me getting robbed but with a 5 or 10 grand I'd be sweating, looking around all shifty-eyed and nervous and probably attract trouble  :o

How would you bring home cash like that? You couldn't put the "stacks" in your pocket, because they would bend. Would you have to bring a suitcase?

Tjs_43
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2008, 01:12:23 am »

How would you bring home cash like that? You couldn't put the "stacks" in your pocket, because they would bend. Would you have to bring a suitcase?

Lol I was thinking more like a canvas bag with dollar signs printed on the front...anybody have one I could borrow?
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2008, 01:57:20 am »

I don't have one with dollar signs on it but I do have on old canvas bag with "THE ROYAL BANK OF CANADA" on it.

Gary_T
Tjs_43
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2008, 12:21:01 pm »

That's perfect - I'll take it to the TD branch and wave it around a bit ;D
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2008, 11:30:05 pm »

Public transit is way to risky.

Getting robbed is no fun, this I know.

Best way: SD Box rom. You don't even need t have a box, if they know who you are and what you are doing. If THEY view it is simpler and safer, then it is clear and done deal.  Work on having them view it as such.   "Wouldn't be earlier if I just zipped in there and just did it? Out of site, but like then it is done fast."

Anyway, there are a lot of good ideas, but it all depends on the bank's manager, pretty much that is the end of the story with that :-).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:32:28 pm by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2008, 11:42:49 pm »

The best system I ever had:

Larger branches get cash, and then stuff their automatic cash dispensing machines with them.

This is after you have established a long and solid relationship with them...:

Ask if it is possible to pay the $11 to have their own order, be specified new. THIS WAY: there is no NEW cash, just what the bank would get anyway.

Ask that they "up" the amount to a 1000 count, so that you can do this...

For example:   
"So you guys load the cash on Friday morning for the weekend?
- yes
" Wouldn't it be easier then if I just paid the fee so that your own cash was ordered new, and somehow I was able to check it before you loaded the machine?
---  I don't know - that makes sense...
"Well, I was thinking, what if we put in the order a day earlier, so that there would be one day's grace where I could come in where the stuff is in your vaults, but not loaded up yet.   Then I could do my research for that book I showed you (you have previously showed them select pages of the Charlton, including the names on page three, whom you "work with" on this project), ... and the research would not mess up your cash reserves at the bank at all.

-- Yeah that would make things smoother for sure.

"Perfect, just let me know when I should call, and is it okay that I pay cash for the fee when I come in?
 --  Yeah no prob/ or /   We need the cash the day of the order --"Okay I'll swing by and bring it in on that day."
-- Wow you get way to excited about this money stuff...  but that is super cool you are actuially working towards data in a book like- one you can find everywhere.
"Yeah I know, I go crazy for this stuff - and I do appreciate all the help!"

(Then casual conversation continues....)

NOTE:  Make sure you are never a nuisance or an inconvenience, to the teller, or to the other customers who may come into the line up after you. Yes this means at times, waiting til an unanticipated rush subsides.  Better yes, ask them when best time to come is.

Ahh.  The memories. :-)

Tjs_43
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2008, 12:42:20 am »

The best system I ever had:

Larger branches get cash, and then stuff their automatic cash dispensing machines with them.

This is after you have established a long and solid relationship with them...:

Ahh.  The memories. :-)

A system like that is something to work toward, it would be a dream.
Everything about brick searching is a lottery - the brick itself, the set up at the bank, finding something verified now or in the future... it's perfectly addictive  :D

Hudson, did you stop searching? Or was it the system you were remembering?

And I just wanted to say that I'm so impressed with all of the good advice and support that's floating around this forum. Thanks everyone!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 06:50:26 am »

NOTE:  Make sure you are never a nuisance or an inconvenience, to the teller, Ahh.  The memories

Okay Hudson ...settle down now...we don't want you to start drooling over the tellers again ;D 
And you weren't being a nuisance when you put your phone number on every returned bill to get the tellers attention? 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:53:34 am by friedsquid »

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 05:43:01 pm »

Okay Hudson ...settle down now...we don't want you to start drooling over the tellers again ;D 
And you weren't being a nuisance when you put your phone number on every returned bill to get the tellers attention? 

Statistically, if I do that to 100 gorgeous tellers, I should get responses on about 15-20.  But you need a special recognition code, so you know it is them, and not some other person.

"Brick searching? That's so dangerous!  I love dangerous men", is what they would say....
My usual reply: "Danger?  Frankly my dear, I don't give a damm!"

And then we would ride off into the sunset, together on a unicorn.

PS I can't afford to do bricks right now.
HOWEVER, I could start in a snap, if someone was willing to consistently buy my radars for $11 over face.  That still puts me in the red, because of the time an d gas cost, and in driving through rush hour Edmonton, that adds up fast. Like 3 hours (no exaggeration).

The unicorn is usually faster, in fact appearing out of nowhere, and transcending dimensional barriers. But there is no unicorn parking stall.

Bye for now!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:46:28 pm by Hudson A B »

Login with username, password and session length