Author
Topic: New Bank Notes  (Read 6046 times)
tommyboy
  • Paper Money is Fantastic!
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:00:40 pm »

Hi.  Has anybody seen or know when the new signatures that will appear on our bank notes, or are due to be in circulation?
tommyboy
suretteda
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:09:48 pm »

Good day,

This is in response to your email requesting information on the signatures of Governor Mark Carney.

All bank notes issued by the Bank of Canada bear the signatures of the Governor and Deputy Governor who are in office at the time the notes are printed. So when the people in these positions change, so do the signatures. However, new notes are not necessarily printed as soon as a new Governor or Deputy Governor is appointed. The Bank has to first deplete its stock of existing notes before it prints new ones. Therefore, it may take some time before bank notes with new signatures are put in circulation, depending on demand and existing stock.

I hope this information is helpful and thank you for your interest in Canadian currency.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 05:37:56 pm »

Good day,

This is in response to your email requesting information on the signatures of Governor Mark Carney.

All bank notes issued by the Bank of Canada bear the signatures of the Governor and Deputy Governor who are in office at the time the notes are printed. So when the people in these positions change, so do the signatures. However, new notes are not necessarily printed as soon as a new Governor or Deputy Governor is appointed. The Bank has to first deplete its stock of existing notes before it prints new ones. Therefore, it may take some time before bank notes with new signatures are put in circulation, depending on demand and existing stock.
I hope this information is helpful and thank you for your interest in Canadian currency.

Good day,

Regards,

Carol Ann Levett
Client Service Representative

I assume that this is a form letter since I received this well over 6 weeks ago.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 05:39:30 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
FogDevil
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 06:05:55 pm »

I am hazarding a guess that the first new notes featuring the Jenkins-Carney signatures will make its premiere in July or August (maybe later in June) with the $5 denomination (2008 print year, prefix APL).

After all, the first of the Knight-Dodge signature notes were $5's bearing prefix GPW, and that occurred back in 2001- although the Jenkins-Dodge notes debuted in early 2004 with the first of the current issue of the $100 denomination.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:25:51 pm »

Coinsplus had the chance to ask the Governor himself when he was in Vancouver in February.

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=7006.0

About six months from this February so it would make it August. Now if everyone ordered four dozen bricks a week for the next three months we could possibly move that date up.  ;D There was no mention of a changeover Prefix.

Dei Gratia mon

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
tommyboy
  • Paper Money is Fantastic!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:22:50 pm »

Hi.  Thanks for the replys. Being from New Brunswick, we don't get the new notes that are releasted until about two months later than , say Ontario. that's the way it is. Now I can be on the look out.  THANKS again
tommyboy
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 03:23:31 pm »

Typically, how long does it take before a new Governor or Sr Deputy Governor begins his tenure, before his signature appears in notes in circulation?  Carney has been on the job for a while now; no sign of his sig yet.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 03:43:16 pm »

Typically, how long does it take before a new Governor or Sr Deputy Governor begins his tenure, before his signature appears in notes in circulation?  Carney has been on the job for a while now; no sign of his sig yet.

Hi Seth,

I have merged your post with a preexisting post on the same subject. Please read above for more information about your question.

Cheers

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length