Author
Topic: What does a change over note mean and is it noted in Charlton as such?  (Read 5254 times)
Jimmie_d

SORRY
 for such an obvious question but search as I may I can not come up with the correct info to define a changeover note.
Also, are changeover notes, noted in Charlton? such as BC-c-i
And if not what does the" i "stand for.
Many Thanks for ANY and All help to solve this puzzlement
James
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..

A changeover note is one with a prefix where some sort of change occurred during the prefix like a signature combination or in the case of the Journey series, a printing year change (For example, the $10 prefix BER has some notes showing a printing year of 2003, while others have one that says 2004.) These changes are usually not noted in the numbering system. The "i" after the number indicates a separate type of note like a different printing company producing these notes or with the Multicoloured series, a three letter prefix instead of a two letter prefix.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
50monarch
  • Every note gets me one step closer to Cayman

Changeover notes are described in the Charlton Catalogue (20th Edition) on Page 366.  Simply put Changeovers occur when there is a change in signatures or date of printing.  A good example would be the infamous BER $10 Journey Notes.  This prefix is spread over the 2003 and 2004 printing date.  The 2003 range is 0000000-7199999 and the 2004 range is 8600000-9999999.  If you have the 2003 note in VF condition, it is worth about $350.00...if you have the 2004 note in the same condition it is worth $15.00.  Another example would be the 1986 CBH $2 notes.  In this case it was a signature change...from Thiessen-Crow (0000000-6719999) to Bonin-Thiessen (6720000-9999999).

The "i" that you see in some listings refers to the place of printing...in this case it would be BABN or the British American Bank Note Company.  If there is no "i", then it is printed by the Canadian Bank Note Company.

Hope this helps.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

Just as an example look on page 233 of your catalogue.

BC22b $2 Gordon Towers prefix Z/B has serial #'s 0000001-4000000
and
BC22c  $2 Coyne Towers prefix Z/B has serial #'s 4000001-100000000

The signature change from Gordon to Coyne took place at the 4 million mark.
These changeover points can be found in the "Summary of Technical Details"
for each series of notes

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Bob

A changeover note is a note from a prefix or series of ten million notes (usually) in which an important change occurred, often a change of signature, or some modification such as the change from the 1954 Devils Face to the 1954 Modified portrait.
For example, the 1986 $2 series with prefix CBH is a changeover series.  Notes numbered CBH 0000000 to CBH 6719999 were signed Thiessen-Crow, and those numbered CBH 6720000 to CBH 9999999 were signed Bonin-Thiessen.  The actual changeover (in signatures) occurred at note number 6720000 but all notes with prefix letters CBH are called changeover notes in collector jargon.  Notes from the previous series (prefix CBG) are all signed Thiessen-Crow, so they are not changeover notes; neither are those from the next series, CBI, which are all signed Bonin-Thiessen.
The -i in a catalogue number is for distinguishing quite small differences, often in the printing company which made the notes.  The numbers, such as BC-55, identify major designs / denominations; the following letter a, b, c etc. is used for lesser differences such as signature varieties, and -i, -ii etc. for very small differences.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Jimmie_d

Thank you VERY much Bob,for taking the time to explain that
James
Jimmie_d

THANKYOU VERY MUCH EVERYBODY FOR  THE INFORMATION
IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
JAMES
**** so in conclusion, a changeover note is not catelogued with some letter or number in Charlton.
The way one discovers this knowledge is to look in the SUMMARY OF TECHNICAL DETAILS and any prefix that is broken IE: 0000001-6848000/6848001-10000000 Pg. 262  H/M BC-37a-i Beattie/Coyne and BC-37b-i Beatie/Raminsky are changeover notes?******

BY George I THINK
HE'S GOT IT (o:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:59:19 pm by Jimmie_d »
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector

...... so in conclusion, a changeover note is not catalogued with some letter or number in Charlton.

If you check the current Charlton catalogue, you'll see that the same catalogue number is often used for several different distinct varieties. For example, on page 268, the same number BC-38b is used, quite understandably, for no fewer than five distinct varieties. Although I don't know how to get around this situation in a simple methodical manner, I do foresee the day when collectors will start collecting all of the different prefixes in the same manner as collectors today collect all of the different signatures. I realize that some collectors today do indeed seek every issued prefix but they (i.e., the collectors) are few and far between at the present time. I'm sure that one day in the future many collectors will even seek every front and back Plate Number too! By way of comparison, the 150 or so different plate numbers employed on the Great Britain One Penny Red postage stamp issued in 1858 have been listed in stamp catalogues for well over 50 years. Some of these plate numbers are worth just pennies while others are worth thousands of dollars .... and you need a magnifying glass to see these plate numbers! 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:42:02 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length