Author
Topic: Doubling-Up notes in sleeves  (Read 3134 times)
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:20:18 pm »

Hello All.

I have a question for the long term collectors on this forum..... :)

Is it a bad idea to store two notes in the same sleeve?

I have started to double up notes to save on space and sleeves and I always ensure that the serial numbers are facing out.  Is there a possibility of damaging notes over the long term (ie: sticking together, ink transfer, I don't know what damaging horror)?

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:44:31 pm »

I don't believe that there is a problem with this practice.  I'm doing this since many years and I didn't seen any damage on my notes.  The ink used is a special mix which dries quickly and permanently.  I never seen two notes glued together because of the ink, unlike the laser-printed ordinary documents, which effectively tends to stick, no much together, but marvelously with any plastic material (mylar sleeve, PCV pages, and so on).

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:53:44 pm »

All I can say is that I have had 4 1867-1967 unc notes in the same sleeve since 1967 and just found them about a year ago while going through an old set of encyclopedias that I was throwing out. Besides the fact that they are now pressed, LOL ...they do not appear to be damaged in any other way.  No ink transfer, sticking of notes, yellowing, or any other thing wrong with them. (and obviously not a mylar sleeve)
Personally I prefer to keep only one note per sleeve, just to be on the safe side.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:10:11 pm »

In the case of notes kept in a book (under pressure or weight) during many years, it's perfectly normal to find them flattened, but I don't consider them as "PRESSED".  It will not erase a fold  or a crease...

Pressing requires water or vapor that alters irremediably the surface or the paper.  Natural flattening under weight does not alters the surface of the note.

Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 01:24:47 pm »

Excellent answers all! including the sidebar about what "pressed" means.

Thank you all.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

Login with username, password and session length