Author
Topic: Third Party Graders: Your Opinions Please  (Read 14799 times)
Bernie
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 01:48:27 am »

A couple of reasons why I don't like graded notes:
1. They are harder to store in albums.
2. It is harder to arrange them in exhibits.

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 04:33:16 am »

Add to that list:

What factor gives someone the authority to grade a note, and proclaim that grade to the world?

Secondly, how does the community know if there are conflicts of interest?  The only way TPG could ever be reliable is if there were not an allegiance to business in note trading.  There is conflict of interest, because from what I understand, all TPG companies, have a vested interest in the performance of certain notes (their own stock I would imagine).   

One cannot serve two masters (That's in the book of Matthew I think) -- although I am merely using it as a parallel to compare being a dealer and being a TPGrader.

Related question, and it is a parallell as well....
Name the one country in the world that is not part of the UN (that has the choice to be, and is not choosing respresentation by another country)? PM me if you think you know the answer...  think-- conflict of interest... (besides Kosovo)

Basically, it boils down to this:
If A thinks he's right,
B thinks he's right, and C thinks he's right, and they are all different, how on earth could there be validation (unless two of the three determined their own system)?

Logically, it does not make sense.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:01:59 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 08:53:36 am »

A couple of reasons why I don't like graded notes:
1. They are harder to store in albums.
2. It is harder to arrange them in exhibits.

There currently are binders and sleeves that hold TPG notes which I have seen some dealers use at shows. They are made to fit these slabbed notes.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Bernie
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 12:29:48 pm »

There currently are binders and sleeves that hold TPG notes which I have seen some dealers use at shows. They are made to fit these slabbed notes.

Yes, I realize there are. However, I have invested 20+ years in my albums that cost hundreds of dollars. Do I now have 2 separate collections, one with slabs and the other without. Or should I spend thousands of dollars getting all my notes slabbed and buying these new albums?

With respect to exhibiting, I am thinking of removing several notes from their plastic enclosures just because they are hard to arrange for my particular exhibit. I also think that slabs are distractive in an exhibit. People will spend time reading the grading information instead of looking at the notes and the exhibit information.

The bottom line is that "Third Party Grading" was introduced so that speculators can invest in currency without knowing anything about the hobby. This ultimately raises prices which, of course, is why most dealers love slabbing. TPG also gives dealers an "automatic guaranty" that allows them to refuse returns for improper grading.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:30:20 pm by Bernie »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 01:42:04 pm »

Yes, I realize there are. However, I have invested 20+ years in my albums that cost hundreds of dollars. Do I now have 2 separate collections, one with slabs and the other without. Or should I spend thousands of dollars getting all my notes slabbed and buying these new albums?
Only my opinion, but either sell your used binders and sleeves to another collector, possibly one who is just beginning to collect and could save a few dollars by buying them from you, or as you suggest have two separate collections.
Personally, I have both raw and TPG notes and I do agree in one way if you have some of the series graded and others not, they don't seem to present in the same way and I guess if they are being put in a display of some type the slabs do distract from a raw note.  On the other hand, I personally still look at any note in a TPG slab regardless of the grade assigned since I don't always trust the TPG's opinion 100 % of the time. I guess that depends on the individual.
Another item you brought up about cutting notes out of the slabs. Personally one reason I do like the slabs is that I don't have issues letting my 14 yr old daughter examining the notes since I don't worry about her accidentally damaging them. And if all else fails, slabbed notes make great conversation pieces when used as drink coasters at your next party ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length