Author
Topic: The shopping channel  (Read 3979 times)
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:49:02 am »

The Coin Show.....

Did any other members look at any of the items for sale on the shopping channel over the last 3 days? It was 392 on the Star Choice dish?
They had some very nice stuff and some of the prices were very good, has anyone purchased from there before in regards to numismatic material? I here that they are very good. All the items were from a reputable dealer as well.  What is every ones thoughts??? ;D

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:41:50 am »

I saw the almost complete set of George V coins, for $4,000, not a bad price for what was offered, I've never bought anything from them, but I have a sister in Newfoundland who is addicted to them, and claims that everything they sell is underpriced.
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:09:05 am »

I have purchased from TSC twice, and both times the items were returned. I even showed the items to a dealer friend, and his first comment was, “where did you get this, the shopping channel”. If you are going to buy RCM items from TSC, then I am sure you will do fine, but it seems that most RCM items drop in value price after they are sold by the mint.

Now that being said, I have been to Steven’s shop, and have bought some really nice notes, but like always buyer beware, you must know what you are purchasing, how to grade the notes, and what the market prices are.

If you want really nice and/or rare notes or coins outside of the RCM items, then the shopping channel is probably not for you.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:25:36 am »

I have purchased from TSC twice, and both times the items were returned. I even showed the items to a dealer friend, and his first comment was, “where did you get this, the shopping channel”. If you are going to buy RCM items from TSC, then I am sure you will do fine, but it seems that most RCM items drop in value price after they are sold by the mint.

I totally agree with this comment. A friend of mine bought some notes from TSC and after showing me I suggested that he return them if possible. Definitely overgraded in my opinion.
He also bought some RCM items that were well under issue price and were given as gifts to his grandchildren. In this case, I too agree. You can sometimes get a better deal on RCM products simply because even dealers discount them.
I rarely, if ever would consider buying RCM items for an investment. Only a select few times did I luck out on a RCM purchase.
I still think, if you learn your stuff, take some time to look around, there still are deals to be had......instead of being had.
Good luck. (Only my opinion  ;D)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length