Author
Topic: American grading vs Canadian grading  (Read 6202 times)
Calgary
« on: June 22, 2008, 03:49:57 pm »

I have always wanted to buy notes of very good quality and was not fortunate to have an experienced coin collector provide advice when I started my collection.  I have discovered over time that one American company over-grades one hundred percent of the time. 

I have just recently had 9 notes regraded by CCGS here in Calgary because I would like to be confident that when I sell my collection there is no doubt as to what the grade of the note is.  The notes I had regraded are:

1) Devils Face 2.00, old grade UNC64, new grade UNC63
2) 1974 Solid 2.00 radar, old grade UNC66, new grade UNC64
3) 1979 2 - sequential 5.00 replacements, old grade UNC64, new grade UNC63
4) 1969 specimen 20.00, old grade UNC67, new grade UNC63
5) 1975 100.00, old grade UNC65, new grade AU58
6) 1975 specimen 100.00, old grade UNC64, new grade AU58
7) 1975 2 sequential 100.00 *JA replacements, old grade UNC54, AU58, new grade AU58, EF45

In fairness, some of the notes were close but this still amounted to a loss of over 1500.00 (Canadian)

To all the new buyers and coin collectors starting out; I would say do not buy Canadian notes that are graded by American Companies, you will pay a lot of money for nothing.

To all the sellers that flog these notes and want book prices or better, shame. :(
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 04:12:14 pm »

I have discovered over time that one American company over-grades one hundred percent of the time.   ............. To all the new buyers and coin collectors starting out; I would say do not buy Canadian notes that are graded by American Companies, you will pay a lot of money for nothing. To all the sellers that flog these notes and want book prices or better, shame. :(

Hey, Calgary, there's no need to be shy! Do us all a favour and NAME THAT AMERICAN COMPANY! ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:13:46 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 04:22:09 pm »

Probably PCGS.

YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:29:30 pm »

Hi Calgary:
I feel sorry for your loss (no matter it is investment loss, hobby loss or unrealized loss), but we all learn a lesson, right? (not only you or me, I believe there are more collectors they have the same situation .....)

I got two 1937 $20 and two 1954 DF graded by these US companies (plus a few US$ notes not in high value) about 2 or 3 years ago.  However I notice that these notes were over graded just by looking inside these sealed plastic protector.  So I cut it out and send to CCGS then turn out the 1937 at EF and DF at AU.

We don't need to name the company (companies) because it is more than one.  As long as we give feedback to the dealer(s) for our reactions (not buying notes graded by these graders or pay at least one grade lower than what they graded, then over time it will reflect in the market price)

Of course some forum members here know I don't buy notes from these US graders.  I like CCGS's notegard holder but not the recently sealed holders.  If I buy a notes over $1000, I would like to check it (not just inside the sealed holder) before making my decision.

That's just my personal comments and no offence to any member(s) or any grader(s).

Just keep enjoying our collections!

Yuman
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 05:45:50 pm »

I have discovered over time that one American company over-grades one hundred percent of the time. 
I think that they do overgrade on occasion, but 100% of the time I find hard to believe. I still think some collectors believe this and base the price they pay on what they believe. For instance, if a note is graded a XXX66 you may believe it should be a 64 then they pay accordingly. The fact is that some people do and always will buy graded notes and pay what they have to to obtain them. That is just the way it is. As for getting notes regraded it just seems like extra cash down the drain....if you are so concerned about a buyer getting a fair deal just lower the selling price.  People will only pay what they believe the note is worth.
Only my opinion of course.....
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:33:46 pm »

Don't buy notes without examining them. If you don't agree on the TPG grade, make your offer based on your opinion of what you think it is. If your offer is not accepted, it's not the end of the world. Also, every deal done on a friendly, professional basis may generate a better deal for you next time..

Login with username, password and session length