Author
Topic: low number Nova Scotia note  (Read 7655 times)
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:37:27 am »

Dear fellow collectors

I would like some information on a low serial number note. I have recently acquired a 1929 Bank of Nova Scotia $5 with serial number 000120. I would like to know if anyone has ever encountered a lower number on this note? I am aware that low serial numbers on large size chartered notes can be quite elusive. As the overall note is considered too common to track any info provided will be greatly appreciated.

Pictures will be posted as soon as the note is received but the grade looks to be VF/EF.

Cheers

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:23:22 am »

I once owned this note and I sold it on eBay about two (perhaps three?) years ago. It was a nice original note then and I hope that it's still original! I can't remember exactly what it sold for then but I seem to recall it was around the $300-$400 mark.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:52:20 am »

Ottawa, do you recall the grade at which time you owned it?

KC's Canadian Currency
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:53:01 pm »

Ottawa, do you recall the grade at which time you owned it?

I seem to recall that it was better than VF but not a full EF.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:36:41 pm »

Here are the scans as promised

KC's Canadian Currency
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:20:56 pm »

Here's an example of another 1929 note from my collection (not a low sheet number though). Observe that although the left-hand signatures are identical on the two notes, there are some very significant differences in the style of the right-hand signatures. I feel that these two variant signatures are sufficiently distinct to be worthy of inclusion in the Charlton catalogue. These variants are somewhat reminiscent of the Large Logan, Small Logan, and Decorative Logan signatures on the 1917 Commerce notes.

Thus, kid_kc79's note has the Type I signature at the right while my note has the Type II signature at the right.

{http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1293040/BNS1929.jpg}
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:37:07 pm by Ottawa »

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:35:44 pm »

I've just noticed that the $5 note of the previous issue (1924) has the Type I signature at the right. Thus, it appears that the Type I signature was employed on the 1924 issue and on the earlier printings of the 1929 issue. It would be interesting to determine when the changeover from Type I to Type II occurred on the 1929 issue.

This is getting interesting!

{http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1293040/BNS1924.jpg}

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:29:22 pm »

Very Intereseting

One observation is that this 1929 low number note has a six digit serial number while later in the printing process the serial number became seven digit long. Thinking this might be it I did a bit of research but soon realized this did not seam to be be case. All 1924 which I have seen have this signature "Type I" type but it looks like the 1929 did the transition early in the 6 digit process.

I was able to gather images of the 1929 $5 with plates A, B, C and D of the 7 digit serial number. All seam to have the same signature "Type II" at slightly offset locations. 

Of the 6 digit seral number I was able to gather images of plates A and D of which the lowest serial was 752063 and this one still has "Type II" signature.

If you have any lower number 1929 $5 we can surely look into this. I have save all images and will gladly send them along if you wish. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Cheers

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 04:04:04 pm »

Congrats Ottawa on the discovery of this type. I have read your article in the CPMS newsletter. Were you able to find more information such as the range this change may have happened and if one seams scarcer than the other?

Cheers

KC's Canadian Currency

Login with username, password and session length