Author
Topic: What the world needs now is "Universal Grading"!!!  (Read 6143 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: August 15, 2008, 08:08:05 pm »

But.... can it be true....  it's here already!!!!

Please see:  http://www.zigler.ca/universal_grade.jpg

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 02:07:34 pm »

This is outstanding, and simply amazing, I am truly speechless. What will they think of next, TPG the bundle bands?  ;D

Thanks for the TPG update.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 03:20:15 pm »

What is Universal Grading?

How is it different from normal grading?

Thanks

gendis
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:11:53 am »

The scans of the notes provided are not particularly high definition.  I assume, however, that your comment relates to the grading of CanTire notes of relatively low value.  I don't have access to the Bilodeau catalogue and, accordingly, don't know whether there are some valuable replacement notes in this 75th Anniversary Series, but I would expect that the value of the notes is approximately "face value" and nowhere near the cost of grading.  I would also expect that the term "universal grade" means that the grading is similar to PCGS rather than ICCS - with general appearance of the note as well as technical considerations being considered for the final grade.  Am I missing something?  It seems that the grading of these notes would be a "tongue-in-cheek" comment on TPG in general.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:57:26 am »

Thanks

gendis
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:30:21 am »

I touched the screen and "magically" a high definition scan appeared for both of these notes that included the information that both were "replacement notes".  I now realize that the grading of these notes was not a "tongue-in-cheek" comment on TPG in general.  There are numerous collectors of CanTire notes and, if some of them want to have their notes graded or to purchase TPG notes, why not?  It can't be any worse than the current state of TPG of currency and coins where the "grading  standards" vary greatly amongst the various grading services and "spurious" grading services appear and disappear almost daily.  Perhaps several generations from now collectors will attempt to collect notes from all of the grading services.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:24:44 pm »

My comment was intended to refer to the lack of a defined standard by which TPG's
follow resulting in wide variability of grading between TPG's.  This is not really different from the
variability of grading between collectors and dealers.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a Universal Standard
followed by all.  I thought it was cute that the graded Canadian Tire replacement notes were in a holder suggesting the presence of a universal grade standard.  Someone may feel that their grading standard is perfect, but unless there is consensus amongst all the stakeholders there never will be a universal standard.

Login with username, password and session length