Author
Topic: Global Credit Crunch vs. Canadian Currency  (Read 8894 times)
FogDevil
« on: October 19, 2008, 06:07:49 pm »

You probably heard in recent weeks that there is a major credit crisis going on as of lately in the U.S.

Will the worldwide credit crunch possibly mean fewer banknotes distributed throughout Canada in the months to come?

BTW, I did find an article relating to the global credit crunch on Yahoo! News just recently.  HERE is the link.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 06:47:21 pm »

I think this could be an interesting topic for many of us. Here is an email I received from Heritage Auction entitled The Economy, the Collectibles Markets, and Heritage

October 10, 2008

We've been fielding a high volume of calls lately from potential consignors and buyers wondering how a tumultuous world economy is affecting the auction business in general, our business in particular, and their investments specifically. So we felt it appropriate to take a few moments to explain to you, our valued clients, exactly how we at Heritage are experiencing the current economic climate.

People are panicked in many corners — and rightly so — but not here at Heritage. We have weathered economic upheavals before, and for years we have planned for days like these. We're now diversified across 26 categories. We've learned to see that uncertain economic times mean increased auction activity across the broad spectrum of our collectibles divisions by both buyers and sellers.

Collectibles, especially coins, remain extremely liquid. Over the last three months, as Wall Street has been reeling, our auction and private treaty sales have risen steadily. Every day people who are in businesses where capital is no longer readily available turn to us for liquidity. We offer cash advances to stem the tide of an emptying bank account, and a 30+ year record of paying every one of our 45,000 consignors in full and exactly on schedule. Never before have we had so many quality consignments in-house for upcoming auctions.

Conversely, our buyers continue to vie aggressively at auction for coins and collectibles they love, knowing that they are diversifying against inflation, and through that diversification, protecting their holdings of paper assets for the future. In fact, we cannot remember a time when our clientele has been more engaged, or when we've seen as many new and active buyers.

Our $35 million September 24-27 Long Beach Expo auction of coins and currency registered more bidders (over 14,000 of them!) than any auction in our history. Our Entertainment, Space Memorabilia, and Natural History auctions over the past 10 days were consistently strong events with above average sell-through and very happy consignors. And here are some hard and fast facts on Heritage weekly coin, currency, movie posters, comics and sports auctions for just the last quarter (i.e. the last 30 days versus the 30 day period starting four months ago):

*Our number of successful bidders is up by 11.5%.
*Our number of lots actually sold in each weekly auction is up 39.95%.
*Our average lot value is up 8.49%.
*Our total sales volume is up 43.34%

Heritage remains firmly rooted to a business model of transparency, honesty and fairness. We also believe in our consignors, our buyers and our expert staff. Economic struggles are like a Chinese finger trap: Panic and it tightens, but stay calm and it slips right off. Coins and currency may not garner the headlines, but our market has held steady, and risen in many areas, even throughout these difficult months. Coins in particular, and collectibles in general, are a wonderful hedge in a market like we're seeing now. This we know from experience and study of history.

Rare coin prices, along with many other collectibles, actually rose during the Great Depression, as well as during the recession and accompanying real estate and stock market collapse of 1974. During the oil crisis of 1979, we saw coin prices rise dramatically, rewarding owners at a time when their stocks and many other assets were plummeting. Many of our clients saved their houses or businesses with funds from prudent coin investments made with us that we sold for them at auction in early 1980. And the 2 years following the 1987 stock market collapse saw rare coin prices more than double, on average (source: PCGS 3000 Index).

Collectibles markets are often counter-cyclical to widespread turmoil, meaning owners can actually profit when they need money the most. At worst, these categories are generally only minimally affected, in the short-term, by Wall Street's wild fluctuations. And coins and collectibles have a steady record of bouncing back even if their value takes a hit.

If you wish to sell, Heritage will guide you through the process to achieve the best possible return on your investment, hard work and dedication. We can also work with you on 1031 exchanges to minimize taxes on your gains.

Fortunately, Heritage is prepared for whatever the future brings. We keep our focus and run our business not based on emotion but on sound business principles and our decades of experience in this industry. If you're taking this journey of collecting, then rest assured, we're right here with you. There's nowhere else we'd rather be.

Most sincerely,

KC's Canadian Currency
rocken
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:38:11 pm »

Heritage Auctions does say "Collectibles, especially coins, remain extremely liquid. " They mention currency once but group it with coins. Personally I have noticed realized prices for Canadian notes are less than half of catalog on eBay.Don't know about the other auction sites. I feel that paper money is defineatly not a seller's market .

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:18:24 pm »

I feel that paper money is defineatly not a seller's market .

I totally agree with you on this....putting notes on ebay right now is just like giving them away

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:56:35 am »

It just sounds like the soon to be Canadian housing market as well!   :-X

Yes, I also have to agree... looking through eBay, prices are fairly weak for common insert notes, and common regular notes vs catalogue prices in the Charlton Guide. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:58:47 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:49:01 am »

I totally agree with you on this....putting notes on eBay right now is just like giving them away

Which is why I've been in heaven the past few weeks... I actually snapped up a *VL in Fine condition for $20. I would have had it for $10, but some idiot decided to bid on it at the last second.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:57:48 pm »

On the other end, I wonder if this credit crunch has made it more difficult for some searchers to order bricks.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
FogDevil
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:34:58 am »

What I was originally wondering was, will the global credit crunch have an impact on financial institutions across Canada getting bricks of fresh, new banknotes?

If so, the Jenkins/Carney signature notes may not see light in my region until July or August let alone April.  We have all those AP* prefixes to be seen in my region before we see the new signatures.  I can see why this has been a rough year for new $5 prefixes. :'(

But then again, by the time my region gets our first shipment of new $5s next year, a lot of the "Printed in 2006" stock will have been distributed and will be making way for the new "Printed in 2008" stock.

I do have one question...  do the BoC set aside certain prefixes and ranges for specific regions of Canada?  Or are they put in one big stockpile and the bricks are distributed to banks that need them?

EDIT:  Just did a count in the $5 H/L section, and only 7 new $5 prefixes were reported to the forum so far this year, and we are nearing the end of 2008 already.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:43:29 am by FogDevil »
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »

I totally agree with you on this .... putting notes on ebay right now is just like giving them away

Here's a terrific example of the veracity of the above statement:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170271500163&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:CA:1123

I viewed this note in person at a local Ottawa coin show nine days ago. It was offered to me for $900.00 and the dealer told me that he paid $800 for it (which I believe). The note is very very clean, fresh and crisp although it does exhibit a slight "curl" which I attributed to a quick ironing job. However, it has never been washed. I nearly went for it but resisted at the last moment because of the curl.

The note realized a paltry $655.00 on eBay earlier today which is well below even the VG catalogue price of $900.00.

As correctly stated by Alvin in another thread, now is the time to buy. Unfortunately, not many sellers are likely to put up their better notes on eBay in a depressed market like the present one.

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=8561.msg39320#msg39320

It's truly amazing how quickly markets can turn around, and even turn upside down.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:40:39 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 04:41:25 pm »

Here's a real crisis.100 billion for 3 eggs...I wonder if they cook' em for that

Currency pics are great as well!Dont forget the captions ;D

http://www.boncherry.com/blog/2008/10/26/global-crisis-this-is-the-real-crisis/

FogDevil
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 05:29:12 pm »

Well, I should have rephrased the subject line.  It should have read "Canadian Recession vs. UNC Banknotes."

It looks like Canada may be heading into recession mode in the coming weeks - late this year or early in 2009.

Here are some of my fears:

• $10 bills in smaller bank branches will soon be no more (except for the main branches) - at least until possibly this time next year.
  • Shipments of the $5 bills with the new signatures will be delayed even longer (should we be seeing APL in my region for the Christmas rush).
  • 2009 will appear to be a rough year for new prefixes.
  • 2009 will be a rough year for currency - PERIOD.

This recession was slowly emerging earlier this year (no wonder I've only been seeing $5 APDs, APEs, and APGs in great quality thus far).  But then again, there was a recession during 2001-2002, and we still got shipments of new banknotes during the busier shopping seasons regardless.

What are your remarks on this oncoming recession?
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:07 am »

[edit]Post removed by Bob. Content deemed inappropriate for this forum.[/edit]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:00:14 am by BWJM »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 06:42:52 am »

OK hudson ...we all know the bottom line and what is truly most important to all of us (The unhealthy ones)

Less disposable income = less spending = economy doing down hill.

That means less money to brick search.....what else is there to live for when your old like me ???
FRIEDSQUID

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 11:06:41 am »

I deeply apologize for the prior post FSQ, it was way to charged for a forum such as this.

[edit]Content removed based on continued complaints of content inappropriate for these forums. --BWJM[/edit]

It was never my intent to offend.  If I did I apologize. It was my intent to voice frustration over the direction of this country, and how we will be paying for it for years to come.  The economy is tied to the people.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:39:48 pm by BWJM »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:35 pm »

Copies of Hudsons' post are available for $9.95. Regular shipping is included in this price.  All proceeds will go to a worthy cause...my brick searching costs.
FRIEDSQUID

LBIsackson
  • Money is: "Limited Edition Art"
    • LB Isackson Digital Fine Art
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 03:25:28 am »

Sold..... Hudson let "er" rip... your humility is only surpassed by your good looks ..... 8)

Money is: "Limited Edition Art"
The smaller the edition ... the better the art
bc collect
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 11:12:36 am »

I guess then things go relly bad, cash will be in demand, and we can use regular prefixes and poor notes to either buy good quailty rare notes at a 'steal' or other goods.
Always nice to have cash on hand. :)
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 07:21:13 pm »

Always keep cash on hand if you can. Don't worry about catalogue prices and what notes may sell for, just don't pay too much

Rick
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 08:25:48 pm »

Here's a real crisis.100 billion for 3 eggs...I wonder if they cook' em for that

Currency pics are great as well!Dont forget the captions ;D

http://www.boncherry.com/blog/2008/10/26/global-crisis-this-is-the-real-crisis/

You shred down the paper (the bills) and recycle it or use them as fire wood. The energy produced from burning these is probably worth more than their face value.

Login with username, password and session length