Author
Topic: Cutting error  (Read 6786 times)
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« on: September 11, 2004, 01:38:56 pm »

I found this note in a brick of J-D HNN 5$ notes.  The inscription "ÉMISSION DE 2002/ISSUE OF 2002" is cut through, the intaglio printing is normally positionned relatively to the litho printing.  

The back shows the cut very near the lower part of the printing yeay.  But the serial number is a bit high relative to the bar-code.
Here a scan of the face and the back.  A next post will show an enlargment of the cut.

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 01:42:12 pm »

Sorry, the attachment was deleted, I retry with a new file name.

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 01:44:45 pm »

Here an enlargment of the cut.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 10:33:31 pm »

Nice!  I don't recall seeing this type of error on a Canadian Journey series note before.  This type of error seems to be most prevalent on the 1954 and Multicoloured issues, no?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 01:30:57 am »

I think you're right, Seth.   This error is technically an cut out of register according to Charlton's.  To be valuable, the note must show a part of the adjacent note.  The greater part, the greater value.

I don't remember much example of notes in the bird serie showing this kind of error (not to be confused to a print out of register error, which happens in a printing step, not in the last step). Maybe there are some collectors which can post some comment about this and show us a nice example?

crane
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 06:46:25 pm »

??? I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but i have a 20.00 note that has 2 errors.
1 is that you can see the cutting error and see a bit of the previous note .
and 2 is that the Intaglio is shifted downwards on the same note.
It is a circulated note , so it is not in the best of shape.
The scan i have is note a very good one , but you will get the idea.
Hope it works   :-/
Looks like i can only send a sample of it, it says file too large .
John
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 11:17:57 pm »

I don't think that is a cutting error because the intaglio printing is slightly down of register, causing the lower part of the design of the upper note to be  displaced on this note.  Look at the back of the note and a real cutting error will show the same displacement of the entire design and you should see the lower part of the back on the upper note.  Can you post a scan of the back?  It will be easier to tell.

Nevertheless, it's a nice find,  We don't find this kind of error frequently, and most of them are in UNC grade, when got from a brick or from an ATM.  To get one in circulation needs a real luck.

crane
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 04:25:43 pm »

:o  I stand corrected
You are 100% correct....I checked the back of that note and all is fine.  :-*
Thats why i love this forum sooo much, so much to learn about collecting.   ;)

But i agree, its still a nice note and is safely tucked away in my safety deposit box with my 5.00 Ghost Note :o

John
8)
funky_phantom
  • bill collector & more
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 05:59:19 am »

Today I received in change for my lunch what looks to be an exact duplicate Error cutting / out of register as this note. :o  HNN9342733
What are the Odds, first finding a note like this in circulation and then when I go to post  
Copperpete has my note sitting there for me to look at .   ::)
Well I was going to put in a new thread but it was here first so here mine is for all to see. Oh and the serial number of this note is HNV1040697 condition is VF+ can't say its EF but its crispy enough. :D

I really didn't like the digital picture that I had posted for this entry but I will get a scan at work tomorrow and post it then.

emsteph
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 09:03:58 am »

funky_phantom
  • bill collector & more
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 04:13:15 pm »

Similiar?
Sorry I don't see the connection.
A higher shifted serial number and a cutting error with the serial number inplace.
Nope just don't see it.
Upon closer examination with the above note from copperpete, compared to the note I have, his has the bottom edge printing on the top of the note with issues of 2002 showing, this was cut-off on my note leaving my note a slightly wedged shape.
It measures 70mm on the Left front and only 68mm on right front.
As for the bottom of the front note with the signatories, Jenkins loop of his J almost is cut-off and the "issues of 2002 is cut 1/2 way through. Even the coat of arms on the left side sits 2mm lower than a normal note.

A scanner, A scanner my collection for a scanner.
Right EH! not.

funky_phantom
  • bill collector & more
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 01:37:38 am »

I must apologize for not having the scan of my error note up yet.
The note has travelled to my place of employment, but I have yet to find the time to take the scan. I think my Old_timers memory has something to do with this as well.
Soon I hope.

Login with username, password and session length