Author
Topic: RE: rare  (Read 4560 times)
rocken
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:10:15 pm »

I have noticed that many notes that are being auctioned are described  as "Rare " , when in fact they are fairly common.
 I am interested to know what other members think, for when  the term" rare" should or can be used to describe a note.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:44:09 pm »

I have noticed that many notes that are being auctioned are described  as "Rare " , when in fact they are fairly common.
 I am interested to know what other members think, for when  the term" rare" should or can be used to describe a note.
I know exactly what you mean. I have just seen some common $20 listed as rare and some poor soul already got taken.   And we all know about the rare gold flag notes and rare error miscuts (from BOC sheets).
That being said, anyone interested in some rare 1967-1867 Centennial notes signed by me ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:23:19 am »

I think each collector has their own difinition of 'rare', wither it's a one of a kind, only 3 or 4 known, 7 or 8 known, less than 20, or 50, etc....
and then their's ebays difiniton or whatever works to put money in my pocket...

difintely buyer be ware
rocken
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:55 am »

My definition of "rare " would go something like this;

extremely rare -  less than     10 known
very rare          -  less than   100 known
rare                  -  less than  1000 known

As you say, each collector has their own opinion. Maybe we can come to a consensus on the forum .

1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:25:42 pm »

Is there anything in the Charlton Catalogue that gives the "paper money defintion" of rare?

If not, I think Rocken's definition was accurate.

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:03:21 pm »

and then their's ebays difiniton or whatever works to put money in my pocket...

difintely buyer be ware

One thing we frequently forget about ebay is that many of the notes which are posted come from people who know nothing about them. The seller either inherited or found a few notes and decided to post them describing these notes from his point of view without knowing about grading or worth. It is a buyer beware market in and outside of ebay. Make your personal opinion of the notes and decide for yourself if its worth buying. If everyone knew what they had there would be no bargains.

KC's Canadian Currency
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 06:15:14 pm »

My definition of "rare " would go something like this;

extremely rare -  less than     10 known
very rare          -  less than   100 known
rare                  -  less than  1000 known

As you say, each collector has their own opinion. Maybe we can come to a consensus on the forum .

The first category seams right but anything around 100 would most likely be called rare while less than a 1000 would be scarce only if there is a low market presence. Perhaps my standards are just too high. I remember Mark Marshener having this posted somewhere on his website.

Cheers

KC's Canadian Currency
JB-2007
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 08:46:16 pm »

I would consider any note that had a short print of 400,000 or less a scarce note if they are not easy to find. For example FDZ Knight-Dodge had a Qty. printed of 400,000 but they weren't all that hard to find yet on the other hand, take HOH 2004 notes... those i can consider scarce as they are much harder to find and only had a qty. printed of approx. 120,000 
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:23:08 am »

Quote from:- JB2007 Today at 04:46:16 PM
take HOH 2004 notes... those i can consider scarce as they are much harder to find and only had a qty. printed of approx. 120,000 

So what would you consider a HOH 2004 RADAR be?  How many of them are know?  Should that be rare, very rare or extremely rare ??? ???

woodguy62
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 09:45:33 am »

This is a VERY RARE post cause I only have 12 posts...lol

I still end up looking at most of the described RARE notes on the off chance that one might actually be a rare note. I've come across a few uncommon notes, but nothing rare yet.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101

Login with username, password and session length