Author
Topic: The circulation of new 1 and 2 euro banknotes  (Read 5259 times)
suretteda
« on: September 18, 2004, 02:01:01 am »

THE MYCENAE BRIDGE ON ONE SIDE OF THE NEW EURO BANKNOTES
Brussels, 9 September 2004 (15:35 UTC+2)  

Greek Euro-deputy Kostis Hatzidakis, elected with the party of New Democracy, proposed that the ancient Mycenae Bridge be depicted on one of the sides of the 1euro or the 2 euro banknotes to be issued shortly.

The proposal by Mr. Hatzidakis is based on the fact that on other euro banknotes are being depicted European bridges representing the European cultural periods during which they were built, stressing that the ancient Mycenae Bridge is the oldest in the history of the world according to archaeologists.

Mr. Hatzidakis mentions that this will be an honor owed to Greece and the ancient Greek civilization.

The circulation of 1 and 2 euro banknotes is being considered in the effort to deal with high prices and the speculation phenomena observed in many EU member-states after the replacement of their national currencies.

http://www.mpa.gr/article.html?doc_id=478658
Jason
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 02:13:18 am »

I think it's super that there will be 1-euro and 2-euro notes.  My feelings about small-denomination banknotes is well known to those who read my posts.

I think it is amazing to go back to the earliest European architecture in keeping with the theme of the Euro note designs.  My one concern has to do with their ascending/descending sizes.  As most of us know, the larger the denomination, the larger the physical size of the actual banknote.  Conversely, the smaller notes are of smaller size.  The 5-euro note is already quite small.  So what will be the sizes of the 1 and 2-euro notes?

Something to ponder.

Login with username, password and session length