Author
Topic: The New Twenty Dollar Note  (Read 22520 times)
Jason
« on: September 28, 2004, 02:03:53 am »

What with the release date only two days away, I will be curious to know WHEN people first spot or receive their new $20s, and where they see them or get them from.  It is interesting to study the sources for our new currency.  So please, when you get your new $20, please let us know how, where, when, etc.

Jason
jonathan
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 10:34:06 am »

For all ye avid collectors anxiously awaiting the release of the new $20 note, here are some suggestions 8):

1. Call the main bank branches in your region Wednesday or Thursday morning to find out if they have them, or when they will have them. 8)

2. If they have them, find out when the tellers (not the ATM's) are dispersing the new notes.  There may be a high chance that, although the banks will receive their shipments of the new notes, they won't be dispersing them until after they have been counted, and that may take about two or three hours, possibly the whole business day.  There may be a chance that they won't be ready until at least Thursday afternoon or Friday.

REMEMBER - the banks will have really huge quantities of the new $20's, as they are the most circulated banknote in the country.

I learned this experience from a friend of mine who used to work at a bank many years ago. :D

This theory should be the same for when the new $50 comes out in November. :)

For all of those on the forum wishing to pocket the new notes, I wish all avid collectors THE BEST OF LUCK! :)

Bye 4 now, Jonathan ;)
darrelj
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 11:06:11 am »

I work in a nightclub with an atm. My wife works in a bank, I'll post sightings as soon as possible.
jonathan
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 01:41:36 pm »

I won't rush into getting my new $20's right away.  It may probably be at least Thursday or Friday before they arrive at the banks in St. John's.  Then, when they receive them, they have to count them before they disperse them out and that may take a while. :o

So, with that being said, I will probably call the main banks on Thursday morning and if they DO have them at the branch (or whenever they have them), I will probably go to that branch in the afternoon. :)

And that's my 42 cents worth.  :)

Also, I was at a Scotiabank in St. John's this morning.  They had it decorated with balloons to celebrate being the best bank in St. John's (I'm not sure if it's "best Scotiabank branch" or "best bank overall" in the city).  Plus, I received some crisp $10's and $5's (FEM and HNS respectively).  I will probably swap them for the new $20's when they come to my neck of the woods.

Bye Four Now,
Jonathan ;)
Soupie
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 02:06:22 pm »

Working for a bank I can let you know you have a better chance of getting the new 20's through an ATM then from a teller.  The majority of bank branches take in more 20's then they give out meaning they don't likely order 20's for their cash supply.  Any new 20's that come into a branch will be likely from commercial deposits.
ATM's on the other hand will likely be filled with the new 20's as they get refilled, so it's best to use high traffic machines as they are likely refilled most frequently.  Good luck and I hope everyone has a chance to get one of the new bills soon!!
Phil
JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 03:45:40 pm »

I will get one in my area tomorrow. The new notes are usual easy to get here in montreal but rather i get it tomorrow or next week or next month makes no difference to me. Besides sooner or later we'll see nothing but 2004 $20's circulating around. Besides im not worried i've always managed to get my new notes right when they come out ;
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 04:01:16 pm by JB105 »
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 05:31:44 pm »

I wonder if there will still be a lot of banks that will have the new $20's available over-the-counter? ???

I hope so, because I don't rely on an ATM card.  And besides, if I withdrew the new $20's from the ATM, it may cost me service charges. ;D

It's "cheaper" to get the new $20's "over-the-counter" than at an ATM. ;D

Later, Jonathan :)
canada-hongkong
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 06:34:41 pm »

Tomorrow I have a half day vacation, probably can try at some branches in the downtown region of Mississauga.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 08:19:47 pm »

...if I withdrew the new $20's from the ATM, it may cost me service charges. ;D

It's "cheaper" to get the new $20's "over-the-counter" than at an ATM. ;D

Interesting.  The account I have at my bank (a credit union actually) lets me have unlimited electronic transactions (ATM withdrawals, point-of-sale purchases, online balance transfers, etc) with no service charges.  But If I need the services of a teller, I only get two free visits per month and then I start getting charged for them.  If I need notes other than $20's I take $20's out of the ATM and take them to the counter and ask for change.  Asking for change doesn't count as a transaction so no service charges apply.  If I withdrew the notes I wanted from the teller, I could only do it twice per month without getting charged!

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
jonathan
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 10:50:52 pm »

Well, folks...

The new $20 note is just hours away. 8)  Some banks will have them :), and some will not until some point later on. :(

With that being said, for all of ye avid collectors out there, GOOD LUCK on your quest for the "big greens"! ;D

Later, Jonathan ;)

P.S.:  Would you be able to share your feedback with us when you get the new notes? ;)
jonathan
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 10:52:17 pm »

BTW, "Big Greens" is my slang phrase meaning the big, green $20 bills :).
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 02:30:20 pm »

Jonathan posted the following in a separate thread:
Tell a friend! :D

The new $20's are officially released today! 8)

(Personally I won't be getting mine as yet :))

Bye 4 Now, Jonathan ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JoeF
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 04:25:04 pm »

Just got a couple of new 20's at the Royal Bank - main branch in Calgary.

It took about 5 tries at various banks before I got them.  The CIBC in Banker's Hall had a Bank of Canada kiosk outside doing publicity, but the teller inside said "not available yet".  At the Royal the teller I talked to said "not yet" but then the one beside her corrected her and said they did have a limited number!

Serial numbers are: EDITED.
Please post serial numbers to the appropriate thread in the $20 High/Low forum.  Thanks!

Good luck to everyone else!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 05:49:09 pm by BWJM »
Steve11
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 04:31:28 pm »

EDITED from the Bank of Canada, Ottawa...
Already posted in the $20 High/Lows forum.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 05:50:05 pm by BWJM »
canada-hongkong
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 05:40:35 pm »

Nothing at 8 banks and 10 ATM machines in Mississauga....... :-[ ........sigh
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2004, 05:54:49 pm »

I've visited several branches of TDCT, Scotiabank, HSBC, and the Royal, both downtown Kitchener, Waterloo and in other parts of the city.  None have the new $20 as yet.  Most banks give the typical story of "whenever they come in... we have no idea" but one branch seemed completely out to lunch and claimed that none would be shipped to any banks until early October since that is when they would be ready for.  Another branch claimed that shipments have been going out since Monday to various banks across the country but wouldn't be released until today at the earliest.

I also found it interesting that TDCT could not place an order for specifically new notes, yet a CIBC branch that I deal with can without any problem at all.  This same branch tells me that they will have the new $20s on Monday.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
jonathan
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2004, 06:14:40 pm »

I've contacted the main branch of Scotiabank in St. John's, NL this morning - they said that they may have the new notes within the next couple of days.  My  assumption  is that they will be at that branch Thursday morning, since the last three denominations of the Journey series were released on a Wednesday and banks in St. John's, NL never got their shipments until the day after released.  I didn't bother calling the main branches of CIBC, RBC, TDCT, and BMO whatsoever.  I can rely on Scotiabank as the first (or one of the first) banks in NL to get the new notes - Scotiabank would be my first choice for the new notes.

It would be kind of unusual for the new $20 bills to arrive in St. John's on Friday or later.

I will put my 37 cents on Scotiabank in St. John's having the new twenties on Thursday.

Also, I have seen an advertisement in my local newspaper (The St. John's Telegram) today to promote the new $20's, but they didn't have them today.

As far as things go, we "newfies" won't expect the new $50 in St. John's until the day or two after the release date.

And that's my loonie's worth. :D

Bye Four Now, Jonathan ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 06:15:27 pm by jonathan »
canada-hongkong
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 06:19:36 pm »

Scotia has always been reliable, they always have the new notes fter the release date at main branches.
emsteph
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 09:11:57 pm »

Scotiabank in Dorchester didn't have any today.  :(
Nor did the TD bank.  >:(

No problem getting the $5 on their first day.

Bummer...
uts24
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 09:12:40 pm »

The Scotia Bank ATM at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa is dispensing new $20 notes.  Got EDITED.
Already posted in the $20 High/Lows forum.

The Bank of Canada has a display set up next to the machine with litterature on security features etc...

Guess it pays to live in the Nations' Capital!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 09:39:35 pm by BWJM »
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 09:58:07 pm »

I went to the TD Canada Trust this morning at Bay & Queen in downtown Toronto and they didn't have them.

Went to TD Canada Trust at Yonge & Adelaide this afternoon at 5pm and they didn't have any either, until the teller remembered a customer had brought some in!  She was able to track them down for me.  They have a vertical fold in them already, but it was nice to get my hands on them on the first day of issue.  Imagine that, someone got their hands on the new $20 and within 12 hours, creased them and cashed them back into the bank.

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/AYR0415695-97_Front.JPG}

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/AYR0415695-97_Back.JPG}
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 11:22:58 pm »

Nice!

AYR also makes sense.  Both co's need to print them due to how heavily used the $20 is.

EYP is the other starter.

Marc :)
JohnnyG4
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 12:19:14 am »

I worked last night longer to get an hour this morning to visit some banks here in Ottawa. 5 banks, no luck.

So I wanted to get the soundtrack to "Captain Sky" and when I was on my way out of the Rideau Center the Bank of Canada had a 'display' and a couple of folks manning it. Their display is just up from the food court, in front of the Disney store - in case anyone is wondering.

The nice lady at the display said the Scotiabank banking machines (right beside their display) had the new twenties. So I got:

EDITED.  Please post serial numbers in the appropriate thread in the $20 High/Low forum.  These numbers have been reposted there.

They are absolutely wonderful notes (the backs) - they put the $100 note to shame. Bill Reid has to be teaching the angels Heida art!!

I like'em!!

John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 12:40:44 am by BWJM »
jonathan
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 12:32:14 pm »

I called the main bank branches in St. John's, NL this morning, and they still don't have the new $20's >:(.

I was hoping that the Scotiabank main branch would have them today, but "oh, no". :(

However, I called the main RBC branch in downtown St. John's about an hour ago and they said they MAY have their shipments of the new $20's in possibly later today.  I even left them my telephone number and asked them to call me when they DO have the new notes in. :D

Well, I've got a cheque tomorrow to cash.  I guess I will call the Scotiabank main branch tomorrow morning.  They said that they may have them in as late as Monday. 8)

By the way things seem, we might see EYH or AYS prefixes (or maybe even AYU) on the forum the day NL does have the new notes.

There are a lot of opportunities over the next little while to get my hands on the new $20's - we just gotta be a little patient.  It will be worth it in the long run.  I hope.

Bye 4 Now, Jonathan
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 05:31:26 pm »

I got my wife to get some of the new $20s today since I couldn't make it there and she could only get them at the Royal Bank. But she asked the teller to NOT snap the bills, but she did anyway, the teller said she was asked to do that when counting them out to avoid bills being stuck together. So the bills go from being UNC to AU in 2 seconds. But what I don't get is, the bills come out of a despensing machine behind the tellers' counter. So I'm sure the count is accurate without her having to recount them.  

So my wife came back later and asked if she could exchange them and they said the other new bills were already mixed in with older 20s for despensing. She asked why and they said they mixed the bills up with older bills to avoid counterfeiting???????? How is that going to deter counterfeiting??? I just think she got the run around. So she went to another RBC location and she got some bills in UNC, the teller was nice, DIDN'T snap the bills, so if snapping the bills was bank policy, why didn't this teller do the same? Also, she got a note that was 80 notes from a radar, if I could get my hands on the full bundle, I might have gotten that note. Anyway, she got even  more notes, so I'll sort through them later, but we must have gotten like $800 worth.

But basically a lot of bank tellers didn't even know a new note was coming out or when they were coming out? Also, I really think, some tellers don't care if you want to collect some of the new notes. Some will help, some won't, it all boils down to personality of the teller. I think a lot of tellers don't understand why people collect paper money as a hobby? It's so foreign to them and strange. But isn't banknote collecting like one of the most popular hobbies in the world, right behind coin/stamp collecting? But then again, women are known for collecting stuff too, it's called diamonds and jewelry. They go crazy for these rocks. So why is collecting paper money any different?
canada-hongkong
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004, 08:23:03 pm »

Very good day today, I went to a downtown Toronto ATM machine, I found brand new OLD 20s in the machine, I try the one next to it, there they are! The new 20s. I went to the CIBC and BMO main branch, but they would only give me 3 notes each. I spent my first note at a Starbucks in Toronto, the cashiers were amazed at the note, passing it around between 6 people. I spotted AYS, AYR, and EYG notes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 08:25:53 pm by canada-hongkong »
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2004, 01:33:04 am »

How come mine have Bank of Canada logo on the back? Other notes I've seen posted don't have it, are there two versions?
canada-hongkong
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2004, 01:36:03 am »

Wow, I haven't seen that. By the way, does anyone notice the new 20s are rather curly? The notes dispensed from ATMs are not in very good shape. The notes were binded too hard I think.
Steve11
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2004, 04:06:10 am »

Definatly something odd....the AYT and AYS notes I have..do not have this "Bank of Canada..." on them either....strange strange and stranger!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2004, 05:41:19 am »

My first gut instinct is to say it's PhotoShop'd.  I'd like to see a scan of the area in question of at least 150% zoom before making any further opinion.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
jonathan
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2004, 11:32:09 am »

Great news...

I just called the main Scotiabank branch in St. John's, NL to see if the new $20's are in - and they said YES. :)

Worth the wait, eh? :)

When I get them, I will give a progress report ASAP.

I guess I gotta get going...  I have a bus to catch!

Later, Jonathan ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 11:33:06 am by jonathan »
JB-2007
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2004, 12:05:34 pm »

Mine doesn't have the bank of canada logo either and mine is an EYG note too but in the 6 million range.
jonathan
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2004, 05:56:01 pm »

I have some good news, and some bad news....

The bad news:

Earlier this morning, about ten o'clock NDT, I called the main branch of Scotiabank in St. John's, NL asking if they did have them, and she said yes. :)

But...

When I came down to the Scotiabank, the friendly teller told me that they never got their shipment in as yet. :o  She did tell me that that branch had only received one new $20 yesterday.  It was already gone.  I was almost disappointed :'(

The good news...

I went to the main RBC branch in the same area afterwards, and I asked the receptionist if they did have the new $20's.  She said YES.

So, I stood in line, and as the teller served me, I asked her to exchange some of my "out of style" old $20's for the new ones.  She went to the central teller and low and behold, SHE HAD THEM!  Just imagine - my first Journey $20!  Hooray!

By the way, the prefix I have received on them were AYS's (please see my posting in Highs & Lows section).

Most of the RBC customers were still receiving the old $20's as the secured cash dispenser on site never had the new $20's in the machine.  The receptionist said that the ATM's had the new notes as well, but I do not rely on a bank card.  The only way RBC customers could get the new $20's right now, is upon request.

The moral of the story is:

"Good Things Come To Those Who Wait, especially when it comes to Newfoundlanders getting the new notes." :)

I should keep that in mind for when the new $50 is released...

JB-2007
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2004, 02:02:57 am »

You try too hard jonathan! I just went to my local walmart yesterday and got one in change and it was in UNC condition  ;D
Jason
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2004, 04:15:01 am »

I work at The Bay on the weekends, and tonight, the department next to mine had a new $20 in the till, so I just bought it off of them.  As easy as that!

It's GREENER than I thought, but very nice.

BRING ON THE FIFTIES!!!
jonathan
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2004, 02:49:04 pm »

I tell ya, there's gonna be a lot of activity in the $20 notes high/low section of the forum over the next few weeks...

I wouldn't be surprised if AZ* (or BI*) prefixes get released by Thanksgiving weekend. ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 02:50:47 pm by jonathan »
JB-2007
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2004, 04:11:07 pm »

I tell ya, there's gonna be a lot of activity in the $20 notes high/low section of the forum over the next few weeks...

I wouldn't be surprised if AZ* (or BI*) prefixes get released by Thanksgiving weekend. ;D

Jonathan, please stop repeating yourself!!! Change subject... :-/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 04:13:08 pm by JB105 »
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2004, 04:27:26 pm »

I got mine in Brooklin, ON (Scotiabank) on Wednesday, but the branch Manager had to drive down to the larger Whitby branch to pick some up for me. It's cheating a bit, but I sure do appreciate the service.  :-*
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2004, 01:08:35 am »

So what's the scoop on the notes that d_polo posted with BANK OF CANADA BANQUE DU CANADA in the lower left of the back of the note.  So far I've only seen AYR notes, but none have this on the back.  Has anyone else seen these notes?  Is it only on the lower numbered EYG notes??

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2004, 01:47:40 am »

I've seen several notes from various prefixes including AYR, AYT, AYS and EYG.  None exhibit what is seen in the previous post.  It is my opinion based on my current knowledge that the above image has been graphically altered as a spoof.  (Note: I am not drawing any conclusions as to WHO spoofed it.  Too many times the person reporting something is just an innocent person in the middle)

- The Bank has no reason to include such text on the back of a very small sliver of Journey $20s.  The BANK OF CANADA - BANQUE DU CANADA text appears on the front.
- Such an addition of text would diverge greatly from the design of the Canadian Journey series and would have been vetoed very early on.
- The font of the text on the back, while close to what appears on the front, is still different.
- There is only one report of such text.  All notes seen by numerous others on this forum do not exhibit such text.

I can't find a good reason not to presume that the image has been altered.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
canada-hongkong
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2004, 02:57:03 am »

Looks photoshopped to me.  :-/
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2004, 07:18:11 pm »

Perhaps d_polo could comment if he has these notes in his possession or if someone sent him a graphic image which he posted on the board.   I have nothing against having fun on this board, but when I saw that posting I drove around to around 10 banks looking for EYG notes with a printing variation, and it looks like I may have wasted my time in a futile search.... in addition there are now numerous bank tellers who think I'm a lunatic.  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 06:54:08 pm by eyevet »

JB-2007
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2004, 07:45:26 pm »

Yes, no one should post false information on this site. If that note was a joke... it really wasn't funny. Sorry! :-/
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2004, 08:09:10 pm »

Finally got one today, an AYT.  yay! :)

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2004, 06:13:22 pm »

Even though I received my first new $20 last Friday, I went to a CIBC branch in St. John's, NL (not the main branch), and the teller who served me said that the only new $20's the bank has received were from other customers.

So far, I am pretty sure that only the RBC main branch has (or HAD) some shipments of the new $20's - mainly in the ATM's.

The friendly teller told me that they will indeed get the new $20's in bundles pretty soon - after all, they haven't been in circulation even a week as yet.

BTW, of all the new $20's in circulation in St. John's, AYT is the hottest prefix out here.

I will try the Scotiabank later this week.

jonathan
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2004, 07:45:48 pm »

Well, I suppose a lot of banks here in St. John's now have the new $20 available.  Since the $20 is the most used banknote in Canada, I think there will be absolutely no trouble coming across a new $20 nowadays, as the new $20 was only released last week.  All you have to do is ask your friendly teller for them, and they will very likely get them for you.   8) 8)

The banks are still handing out the "out of style" old $20's, when they should be giving out the new notes, but as the BoC says, "all notes from previous issues remain legal tender". :D

I think that the "old" $20's that banks here in St. John's have outnumber the "new" $20's, but remember - it has only been in circulation for a little more than a week now.  It will possibly take two to three, maybe even four years for all the old stock of $20's to disappear. :)

BTW, one of my friends had received an "old-old" 1979 $20 last week sometime - he should hang on to it for awhile. 8)

Bye 4 Now, Jonathan   8)

P.S.:  I tried a Scotiabank out here two days ago - they had them!!!
JB-2007
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2004, 02:46:15 am »

BTW, one of my friends had received an "old-old" 1979 $20 last week sometime - he should hang on to it for awhile. 8)

I got an old Crow-Bouey one tonight in change... 5076... and best of all it was still in AU !!!

Login with username, password and session length