Author
Topic: The New Twenty Dollar Note  (Read 22519 times)
jonathan
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2004, 11:32:09 am »

Great news...

I just called the main Scotiabank branch in St. John's, NL to see if the new $20's are in - and they said YES. :)

Worth the wait, eh? :)

When I get them, I will give a progress report ASAP.

I guess I gotta get going...  I have a bus to catch!

Later, Jonathan ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 11:33:06 am by jonathan »
JB-2007
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2004, 12:05:34 pm »

Mine doesn't have the bank of canada logo either and mine is an EYG note too but in the 6 million range.
jonathan
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2004, 05:56:01 pm »

I have some good news, and some bad news....

The bad news:

Earlier this morning, about ten o'clock NDT, I called the main branch of Scotiabank in St. John's, NL asking if they did have them, and she said yes. :)

But...

When I came down to the Scotiabank, the friendly teller told me that they never got their shipment in as yet. :o  She did tell me that that branch had only received one new $20 yesterday.  It was already gone.  I was almost disappointed :'(

The good news...

I went to the main RBC branch in the same area afterwards, and I asked the receptionist if they did have the new $20's.  She said YES.

So, I stood in line, and as the teller served me, I asked her to exchange some of my "out of style" old $20's for the new ones.  She went to the central teller and low and behold, SHE HAD THEM!  Just imagine - my first Journey $20!  Hooray!

By the way, the prefix I have received on them were AYS's (please see my posting in Highs & Lows section).

Most of the RBC customers were still receiving the old $20's as the secured cash dispenser on site never had the new $20's in the machine.  The receptionist said that the ATM's had the new notes as well, but I do not rely on a bank card.  The only way RBC customers could get the new $20's right now, is upon request.

The moral of the story is:

"Good Things Come To Those Who Wait, especially when it comes to Newfoundlanders getting the new notes." :)

I should keep that in mind for when the new $50 is released...

Later, Jonathan :)
JB-2007
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2004, 02:02:57 am »

You try too hard jonathan! I just went to my local walmart yesterday and got one in change and it was in UNC condition  ;D
Jason
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2004, 04:15:01 am »

I work at The Bay on the weekends, and tonight, the department next to mine had a new $20 in the till, so I just bought it off of them.  As easy as that!

It's GREENER than I thought, but very nice.

BRING ON THE FIFTIES!!!
jonathan
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2004, 02:49:04 pm »

I tell ya, there's gonna be a lot of activity in the $20 notes high/low section of the forum over the next few weeks...

I wouldn't be surprised if AZ* (or BI*) prefixes get released by Thanksgiving weekend. ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 02:50:47 pm by jonathan »
JB-2007
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2004, 04:11:07 pm »

I tell ya, there's gonna be a lot of activity in the $20 notes high/low section of the forum over the next few weeks...

I wouldn't be surprised if AZ* (or BI*) prefixes get released by Thanksgiving weekend. ;D

Jonathan, please stop repeating yourself!!! Change subject... :-/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 04:13:08 pm by JB105 »
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2004, 04:27:26 pm »

I got mine in Brooklin, ON (Scotiabank) on Wednesday, but the branch Manager had to drive down to the larger Whitby branch to pick some up for me. It's cheating a bit, but I sure do appreciate the service.  :-*
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2004, 01:08:35 am »

So what's the scoop on the notes that d_polo posted with BANK OF CANADA BANQUE DU CANADA in the lower left of the back of the note.  So far I've only seen AYR notes, but none have this on the back.  Has anyone else seen these notes?  Is it only on the lower numbered EYG notes??

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2004, 01:47:40 am »

I've seen several notes from various prefixes including AYR, AYT, AYS and EYG.  None exhibit what is seen in the previous post.  It is my opinion based on my current knowledge that the above image has been graphically altered as a spoof.  (Note: I am not drawing any conclusions as to WHO spoofed it.  Too many times the person reporting something is just an innocent person in the middle)

- The Bank has no reason to include such text on the back of a very small sliver of Journey $20s.  The BANK OF CANADA - BANQUE DU CANADA text appears on the front.
- Such an addition of text would diverge greatly from the design of the Canadian Journey series and would have been vetoed very early on.
- The font of the text on the back, while close to what appears on the front, is still different.
- There is only one report of such text.  All notes seen by numerous others on this forum do not exhibit such text.

I can't find a good reason not to presume that the image has been altered.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
canada-hongkong
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2004, 02:57:03 am »

Looks photoshopped to me.  :-/
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2004, 07:18:11 pm »

Perhaps d_polo could comment if he has these notes in his possession or if someone sent him a graphic image which he posted on the board.   I have nothing against having fun on this board, but when I saw that posting I drove around to around 10 banks looking for EYG notes with a printing variation, and it looks like I may have wasted my time in a futile search.... in addition there are now numerous bank tellers who think I'm a lunatic.  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 06:54:08 pm by eyevet »

JB-2007
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2004, 07:45:26 pm »

Yes, no one should post false information on this site. If that note was a joke... it really wasn't funny. Sorry! :-/
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2004, 08:09:10 pm »

Finally got one today, an AYT.  yay! :)

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2004, 06:13:22 pm »

Even though I received my first new $20 last Friday, I went to a CIBC branch in St. John's, NL (not the main branch), and the teller who served me said that the only new $20's the bank has received were from other customers.

So far, I am pretty sure that only the RBC main branch has (or HAD) some shipments of the new $20's - mainly in the ATM's.

The friendly teller told me that they will indeed get the new $20's in bundles pretty soon - after all, they haven't been in circulation even a week as yet.

BTW, of all the new $20's in circulation in St. John's, AYT is the hottest prefix out here.

I will try the Scotiabank later this week.

Later, Jonathan :)

Login with username, password and session length