Author
Topic: Is this happen to you on Ebay paying MoneyGram ? FRAUD!!  (Read 10555 times)
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« on: February 16, 2009, 01:08:18 pm »

Hello,

I purchased something last night on Ebay and right now I have some agent of Ebay who want me to go to Moneygram office to pay my note instead of paying the seller because is account is locked by Paypal and they will send money to Ebay agent (in Romania) I receive a nice Email from Ebay with all the step I need to do... but that strange....

They say, when I be returning paying MoneyGram, the seller will send the note ASAP and when I receive it and I give my approbation , they will send the money to the seller...They give me the Shipping and I can substract my fee for the MoneyGram thing.....

Someone in the past use this service with Ebay ???

8) Patrick 8)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:36:25 pm by viauauto »

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:35:25 pm »

I have never even heard of this?  ???

rocken
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:00:45 pm »

Sounds legit. Go ahead and pay with moneygram ;D

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:21:45 pm »

I've heard of MoneyGram before, but never used it.

The circumstances around this however are a little suspicious. I would be hesitant about this. Consider arranging your own escrow service.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:32:06 pm »

Sounds fishy. Careful
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:46:43 pm »

Sounds like an obvious scam to me.

I would report this matter to eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/stop_spoof_websites.html

and/or post the question on the chatboard:

http://chatboards.ebay.com/chat.jsp?forum=1&thread=81
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:54:26 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:32:46 pm »

Hello,

I have some agent of Ebay who want me to go to Moneygram office to pay my note instead of paying the seller because is account is locked by Paypal and they will send money to Ebay agent (in Romania) I receive a nice Email from Ebay with all the step I need to do... but that strange....

Hey Patrick

Something sounds very strange here, its not like eBay to get involved unless requested by the buyer or seller. Secondly if they are having problem with his account they would has suspended his username and ended all auctions. Be VERY VERY careful of any links in that email requesting login info. Remember that all login screens should begin with HTTPS and not the regular HTTP. I may be sounding paranoid but for all its worth tell the seller that you change your mind about the item. Buyers can not longer receive negative feedback.

Use the link that Ottawa posted and verify the origin of those email.

Cheers

KC's Canadian Currency
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 03:33:47 pm »

Thank for all info...I just came back to PostOffice, I wanted to know how much it cost and how MoneyGram work... the lady at the Post Office that she wouldnt send any money when buying from Ebay. She has a customer in past week that who bought a Mustang via Ebay and he needed to send money in UK...5200$ well he lost is money.....was a fraud. Look like this is new kind of fraud around Ebay...

I continue my investigation...

I guess I will post on Ebay or follow the link Ottawa give me...

For now I need to contact "canadiancoinandpaper" a Seller in B.C, I think it's Steven Oei, I think is email has been hack ?? Anybody know him ?

I will continue my story later.......

8) Patrick 8)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:58:29 pm »

Hi Patrick...

I know Steve Oei very well.He is a good friend and very honourable.
If this is legit from him(though I doubt it),you can rest assured you will have no problems with Steve.

I have heard of scams with Money Gram and ebay in the past so as previously stated,caution is advised.I have Steve's phone numbers if you'd like me to get in touch with him.Just let me know.

Regards,twoinvallarta

viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »

Hi Robert,

Can you call him Robert and ask him if he have really a problem with is Paypal account (been locked) and if he can contact me on my email ? Tell him my story...I have one of is email but he doesnt seem to answer back and by Ebay I think the email I sent is getting stop by frauder....

Thanks Robert

8) Patrick 8)

8) Patrick 8)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 04:09:20 pm »

Stand by Patrick

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 04:16:43 pm »

Ok Patrick,Steve is not answering any of his numbers,but I left a very detailed message for him on his cell phone message service.He will get it,he always checks them(unless away fishing!).
I would not do anything till you hear from him,and you will.

Regards,Robert

viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 04:19:13 pm »

Thank you Robert for your HELP. I also have send en email to Ebay.

Waiting some news

Patrick

8) Patrick 8)
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 04:44:34 pm »

Here the answer I got from EBAY :

Hello, Thanks for forwarding the suspicious email you received.  The email is a spoof, also known as a phishing, email. (That's "phishing," as in "fishing" for personal information.) It didn't come from eBay. Our Trust & Safety team is working to disable any websites itlinks to. Remember that you can always check the My Messages section of My eBay tosee if a message from us is legitimate. Copies of any emails we send youabout the status of your account or a change in your account informationwill be displayed in My Messages. This is especially helpful since many spoof emails try to convince you that your account is in jeopardy.  If you've given out personal information in a spoof email or website, you need to take steps to protect your identity right away.

For more information about what to do, go to:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/problems-identity-theft.html

If you'd like to learn more about how to spot a spoof email and stay safe online, go to:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/tutorial/accountprotection/js_tutorial.html

Keep those reports coming -- you're helping protect the global Internet community! Our Trust & Safety team works closely with Internet Service Providers to shut down fraudulent sites. We also send your reports to Web browser companies so that they can develop tools to identify spoof sites. Regards, eBay SafeHarborInvestigations Team

=========

I really think that Steven is getting hacked... he should change is password...maybe he never receive any of my email...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:55:00 pm by viauauto »

8) Patrick 8)
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 04:59:14 pm »

Good Job

KC's Canadian Currency
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 05:05:11 pm »

Hey Patrick.
I have just recently dealt with Steve as well and never a problem or concern.
Very professional and accommodating
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 05:07:49 pm »

Wow! a little contraversy sure livens things up lol.Shades of MM man!(if u dont know who that is,don't ask!)

Btw-For those who do not know,Steve is in the house.
C'mon Steve,we're all dying to know lol,Real or Unreal?
PM'ing aint fair lol

canadianpaper
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 05:12:23 pm »

Hi Patrick,

This is Steve (Canadiancoinandpaper) - Rob was kind enough to leave a message for me explaining the email you recieved. It's a fraud - but having read this post I believe Ebay has confirmed that with you.

I'm currently working and on the road (Not fishing today Rob - lol (Rob knows I love fly fishing)) and will email you later to follow-up.

As one of the other members said, be careful not to reply to the 'spoof' email and login to your ebay account under that email - if you have change your password directly through ebay Asap.

Aside from trying to get you to pay the scammers they are also trying to obtain your ebay id / password.

I have noticed that there are times when Ebay buyers have emailed me and their email goes 'only' to my email address attached to ebay and then to that email's spam folder. I check this from time to time - however, I primarily only check my ebay email that is on my Ebay Inbox.

There is currently nothing wrong with my paypal account that I am aware of - so you may choose this form of payment or even a money order. I am a real estate agent, and my public website is: www.stevenoei.com, my cel # is 604-808-8850.

Aside from Rob, I am known to Arthur Richards, and Don Olmstead.

I have recieved similar scam emails like the one you've mentioned  but essentially, if I don't see it in my Ebay Inbox, but only in my email account attached to my Ebay account - then I assume it's a fraud and delete it.

Hope the above helps - and thanks again for bringing this to the attention of the forum members and myself.

As a last word  - to the member who suggested to "go ahead and pay" with the moneygram. Firstly, I love good humour - but I would like to suggest in this case that the poster really has a serious concern and we should really give some thought about posting silly answer like that because it would be a terrible situation for him / any collector who may actually take your advise and follow-up with the moneygram and get scammed. Getting ripped off, not even the loss in Dollars is bad for ecommerce and our hobby, so it's no joke - IMHO.

(Thanks for the call / help Rob!)

canadianpaper
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 05:13:50 pm »

Lol... Hey Rob... no I'm not like the Loch Ness Monster, Sasquatch, or the Giant Squid!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 05:23:56 pm »

Lol... Hey Rob... no I'm not like the Loch Ness Monster, Sasquatch, or the Giant Squid!

Boy if I didn;t know better I would have thought that this was a fat joke directed towards me  ;D

canadianpaper
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 05:26:41 pm »

Lol... friedsquid... no pun intended. I was watching a Discovery Channel doc. on the Giant Squid last night so I thought I'd throw that in...lol.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 05:29:45 pm »

But what I wouldn't give for  fried squid  with pepper salt right now. ;D

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 05:30:09 pm »

[quoteLol... Hey Rob... no I'm not like the Loch Ness Monster, Sasquatch, or the Giant Squid! ][/quote]

I wouldn't know how to dial their numbers from here-I'm in Mexico 8)

viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 05:33:14 pm »

Ok good I have the real fisher STEVE  ;D I use to buy from you before I think...

Contact me tonight with Email, we gonna finalize our deal. (look on your personal email I already sent you something this morning)

BTW: Rocken, Steve is right.... if it happen to a newbie who first time dealing with Ebay he would lost $$$$$$$$$$

8) Patrick 8)

8) Patrick 8)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 05:34:47 pm »

I wouldn't know how to dial their numbers from here-I'm in Mexico
Ask directory assistance for the number to NESSIE.

canadianpaper
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 05:39:50 pm »

Lol... hey Rob... no wonder you weren't picking up your phone number. Thanks from calling from PV! I hate it everytime you tell me you're in PV with all that sunshine!
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:38 pm »

It was sudden like Steve,not planned at all.
My brother showed up at my door at 6am Friday,the dreaded words we all fear"I just split from my wife.Can I stay awhile?"
I think he had foreknowledge that Jo Ann was in Puerto V.
Now you know my place Steve, a couple ,okay.Two guys,no thanks lol.Gave me a good reason to high tail it out of town.Bad news,back this Friday.

I couldn't resist the call.The message I left you" Steve,your the topic de jour( on the CPMF" (paraphrasing)would have a dead man looking for his lap top  ;D

Not too mention the seriousness of the situation
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:00:09 pm by twoinvallarta »

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 06:02:21 pm »

Ask directory assistance for the number to NESSIE.

I do not believe we have that service in PV.It is 'no nessicito'

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 06:40:22 pm »

the dreaded words we all fear"I just split from my wife.Can I stay awhile?"
So does this work for anyone that might happen to knock on your door in PV

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:15 pm »

eBay Phishing and spoofing are quite common.  There are many scammers out there including operations from Nigeria who run 24/7.

I have had all of the above (suspicious "spoofs/phishing" in my past transactions).  The most common is a phishing email from "Ebay Security" about how you must re-activate your account (by eventually changing your password).  You end up changing your password and not only opening up your account to scammers but also revealing too much account info in the process.  You can easily detect a lot of the spoofs by clicking on the Properties of the email to see that it actually hasn't been sent by ebay at all (but may have ebay written somewhere in their address).  I always cut and paste and include as much info as I can in reporting this suspicious activity.

eBay often replies by stating they will never ask you for sensitive info like the above.

How you pay for your items won is just as important.  Its important to be safe, vigilant and use a secure proven method that gets to the seller in as safe a manner as possible.  Besides PayPal (to new sellers) and personal cheques (to sellers I know), an interac money transfer is the most effective option for a seller I have yet to buy from.

EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 04:31:30 am »

eBay never does anything about scammers anyways. What is "eBay" anyways? Has anyone ever receive a genuine, non-automated response?

About 5 years ago, I sold a DVD player for $400. The buyer from Nigeria sends me a copy of a Western Union slip as "proof" that the money is on its way to me. I told him great, I will ship the item as soon as payment is received. He became a little defensive, telling me he though I will ship the DVD player before receiving payment. His English was poor too.

I never received a payment, nor a response from him or eBay after filling my complaint.

Bottom line: If you suspect a scam, don't send your money and never send money without a record AND knowing the seller has more to lose than the amount, like his reputation.

PayPal, Interact EMT and Post Canada M.O.'s are all traceable ways to send money. Cash is okay for a smaller amount if the seller is well-known and respectable.

Login with username, password and session length