Author
Topic: 1935 20's - Compare, grade and valuate... (PICS inside)  (Read 3064 times)
EyeTradeMoney
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:31:43 pm »

Sorry I had this in the wrong forum...

I want to compare the note on this item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160315083691&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2

With this note:

^^ I like the serial number btw   :P

My take: First, look at the background color. The eBay note's background is black, the second note's background seems to have a brightness to it. Look at the contrasts in the Queen's portrait, the first one looks sharp but the second one looks dull. The color looks worn out, even though it isn't. The details are just as sharp but there is something different about the color. I mean look at the frame. It's almost like looking at black vs. grey.

What puzzles me is that although the first note has a better appeal to the eye, it looks more circulated as the corners aren't as sharp as the second one. Also, look at the reverse; the second note looks cleaner and would probably be VF if not for that one big horizontal crease.

Anyways, I would say the first one is a solid F/VF, just a little better than the second one (also an F+), it sold a couple of hundred cheaper because of the rounded corners and the second one would be worth just about what the first one sold for. But if the first one had sharp corners and a clean reverse, it would then be a VF and would probably have sold for $1800+.

Study the images carefully and let me know what you think.

Login with username, password and session length