Author
Topic: SNR Registry is now completed and ready !!!!!!!!!!  (Read 12764 times)
freedomschoice
  • Wiki Contributor
« on: February 19, 2009, 07:01:09 pm »

With help from Brent and Platy I have got it up and ready to go. So....now its the members choice to use it or not. Hopefully this will help in determining the rarity of a note. If you care to send me a list of your notes, I will start to update the information. You can either send me a list at lootune@yahoo.com or do it through the registry. I would prefer it sent to my email...that way i can do a lot in a short time. I have even asked Gilles thoughts and he is gong ho. He will be sending me his list of SNR"S. Thanks everyone.
Freedomschoice

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:04:38 pm »

Thank you very much freedomschoice for the great amount of effort you have and will continue to put into this project. The entire CPMF community owes you a debt of gratitude.

Please get your note information sent in to freedomschoice at your earliest convenience. Keep in mind that this is ONLY to record known notes for CONFIRMED ranges. New finds should continue to be reported in the manner they currently are.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:10 am »

I must say you have done some fine work. A project like this is a massive undertaking, and I think you have done a great job! I certainly hope that you continue your fine work with us.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
freedomschoice
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:51:53 pm »

Let's be honest here guys. Was your help that saved the day. But i will keep things up to date as information becomes available.   Again..thanks for your help.   Freedomschoice

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:50:21 pm »

Wow... looks like a big job there.  :o

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:53:04 pm »

Yes, he did most of the work on that page himself, with some assistance courtesy of Brent and I, but we really didn't do that much. (Except for the part where I tricked Brent into changing the names for EVERY register there... hee hee.)

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:37:47 pm »

Just had my first look at the registry and I must say a very nice job guys.  It looks great and will be a huge addition to the entire group of Canadian Paper Money Collectors.  I look forward to adding to it and using it's endless knowledge.
Again a huge thanks to all that put such a great effort into creating the SNR registry. It is GREAT!!! :D

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:46:13 pm »

(Except for the part where I tricked Brent into changing the names for EVERY register there... hee hee.)

Tricked? Please! I was merely upholding my own obsessive standards for order, organization and consistency. :D

PS: Check.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 04:07:25 pm »

I have a question that I would like to put forward to the person who is updating the SNR regsistry since it is in its early stages.
When someone gives you a serial number of a note and it is inserted into the registry, what is EXACTLY required?
Is a pic or scan required as proof of the notes existance?
Do you assume that the grade that the owner gives is in fact the true grade of the note?
In many case some SNR's are at best AU because of where they are found in a brick. Other demerits such as Band marks, waves, cupping marks, minor tears, etc. are quiet common. I know everyone hopes that they have a UNC SNR note, but in reality it may not be the case. I personally think this is important as the registry grows that the information is as valid as it can possibly be to benefit everyone....
Has anyone else thought of this, or is no one concerned about how the grading of the note is recorded.
Obviously a TPG note will be recorded as such and collectors can take that for what it's worth since everyone has there own opinions on TPG's, but the issue I am more concerned about is the grading by the owner that may overgrade the note.  The bottom line is that if a tough note is always recorded as a UNC, people tend to assume that it will not be hard to find one in atleast that condition and when buying one may expect that thats the way there were mostly found.
Input is greatly appreciated
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 04:31:22 pm »

Freedomschoice can certainly respond with his own remarks, but I'll throw in some general comments as they relate to the CPMWiki as a whole.

Generally speaking, the raw grades on the registers are taken at face value from the person submitting the note. If there is any significant discrepancy between that grade and (for example) the grade observed in-person by the Wiki Contributor, then no grade may be posted, or an adjusted grade may be posted. Such was the case with one particular note that someone showed me at a coin show back in the fall. It was a nice note, and the gentleman who showed it to me suggested it was Gem UNC. He asked me to have a look, so I did. After noticing various defects, I concluded that it would be at most UNC, and that I could not list it on the registers as Gem.

The bottom line here is that readers should take raw grades at face value. They are, for the most part, personal opinions of the owners of the notes. Some people are more accurate graders than others. There's really no good way of raising the bar without the end result being that we're discouraging submissions.

As for what is required, the more information, the better. We always encourage scans of both sides wherever possible, but this is not required, as many people do not have scanners, digital cameras, or even access to a photocopier and the postal system. Our primary goal is to collect information by whatever means possible, and we don't want to get into hindering that goal by having a very high bar for making submissions.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 04:33:37 pm »

Thanks for the info.
FRIEDSQUID

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 10:44:08 am »

I think it should be a prerequisite that a scan / image of a note be submitted before any note is added to a bank note registry.

This will serve to validate the actual existence of the note and its corresponding serial number.

Although I can empathize with collectors who may not own a scanner or digital camera, this should not preclude the
requirement for a scan to ensure the credibility and accuracy of the bank note registries being kept.

I have a number of rare SNRs, with accompanying high resolution scans, that I will be submitting for inclusion in the registries.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 02:26:48 pm »

This will serve to validate the actual existence of the note and its corresponding serial number.

I still agree that this would be a good idea....especially since the registry is just beginning it would be easier to do it now than later

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 06:13:44 pm »

congratulations freedomschoice and everyone involved.  If I may put my 2 cents in this  topic here are my feelings

Brickers in the last 10 years have become more and more diligent in reporting their information to the appropriate people.

On an average inserted replacements are valued at more and more then even some earlier replacements.

Brickers work very hard and spend much money (sometimes up words of $60 per brick to give this information to forum members)

There are a number of brickers who have been doing this for many years and have accumulated a certain trust to forum members.  Their reputation stands for themself. 

Pictures should be included with the new finds.   I do not think there will be that much hesitation if someone finds a new range. 

I also believe that there should be another person to accompany Gilles in the documentation and confirmation of this ever growing  ranges of replacements that are found.  I will offer my help with this . 

If we have some hesitation in the confirming of replacements, The new way may be to have a third party to also get the brick info to give more comfort to the members. 

In my humble opinion

Polarbear
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:18:17 pm by BWJM »
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 07:19:48 pm »

What if you don't own a camera or a scanner like Arthur says but the notes have been TPG'd by a company that has a population check. At least those notes would have a recorded serial number and grade. Maybe an extra column can be added with, and this is only an example, "BCS ad123", or you know when you have a pic and the serial number is blue, what if it could be linked to the TPG's popuation check for that note.

Just my thoughts.

BTW great job Marv and evryone that helped.

Denis
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:21:58 pm by gus5pin »

Login with username, password and session length