Author
Topic: Coin & Paper Money shops (Edmonton)  (Read 10864 times)
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« on: August 15, 2007, 04:40:31 pm »

Does anyone know where abouts some coin dealers are in Edmonton that are worth looking at? I will be there for a few days and would really like to check some of the shops out. What about one in the West Ed Mall? Any input or addresses will be great.  Thanks so much:

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:40:14 pm »

Hey Bugsy

Try Nation Pride Coin and Stamps at 8005 104 street NW. thats where I like to go
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:58:36 pm »

West ed is my prefeered location but he is quite high priced but he has the best selection in town I stay away from the one on 124 st and 118 ave he never has anything in his shop he has been telling me for 2 years he still has to sort it
harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:51:11 pm »

I`ve been try his shop for about three year and I still haven`t seen anything yet, and it`s hard to buy something from west Edmonton mall when there is such a high mark up but the mall is a great place to visit.

good luck and happy hunting
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 04:16:14 pm »

West ed is my preferred location but he is quite high priced but he has the best selection in town I stay away from the one on 124 st and 118 ave (Northgate Stamp Shop) he never has anything in his shop he has been telling me for 2 years he still has to sort it

I remember dealing with Northgate Stamp Shop when I lived in Edmonton during the early 1970's. The store was located downtown at that time (on 101st Street near Jasper Avenue if I remember). I got to know the proprietor, a Chinese gentleman, very well and he was always turning up amazing stamps and coins (a USA $5 1806 gold coin immediately comes to mind). However, I believe he was burgled a couple of times and that set him back. I recall that when I was visiting Edmonton about 15 years ago I managed to track him down in a different downtown location and I purchased a consecutive run of 5 or 6 $1 Devil's Face Unc notes for about $100.

I always remember Sam (I believe that was his name) as one of the most ethical and trustworthy dealers I have come across. I recall that he doesn't like price hagglers though .... but who does?! It's quite likely that he still has some good material in his bank vaults. I recall that he and I attended a local Edmonton stamp auction once and when he saw me bidding he held off .... at the end of the auction he told me that he didn't like bidding against his regular customers. How very thoughtful and refreshing!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:23:18 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Agio
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 10:02:19 pm »

Eddie at the 111th ave flea market(sat and sunday) & Kensington S&C-in the Yellow pages.
Both have decent paper & Coins, some very high end but you have to ask for it with the latter. Maybe call ahead and specify what you're interested in with them. Sounds goofy but they get a lot of tire kickers who 'want' the big $$$ note or ICCS cert coin then when it's produced offer 50% or ask for it in VG and they don't enjoy the haggling.
I too have never picked up anything from MRCS or West Ed. National Pride I avoid.

Ottawa, Sen Mah (Northgate) is still around. He's on 118th and 123 Ave. Owns the whole block, lol. He still has treasures but doesn't show em often.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:03:09 pm by Agio »
paperchase
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 12:51:24 am »

I'd also recommend dropping in at the 111th ave flea market (111th ave and 119th street) weekends only, as mentioned. Eddie is great to deal with...... has good Paper (error, solids and ladders etc.) . also Jim Melnyk (? not sure about the spelling) is at the same flea market and has lots of high end material (not always on display but ask). Sen Mah has the best prices in town on coin and paper money supplies and lots of great coins but not much in the way of paper last time I was by, still a great guy and worth dropping in on! I'd agree with Agio that West Ed and National pride are for "viewing" only.   
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 01:30:22 am »

or the flea market on 118 ave and 66 st
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 01:59:35 am »

Go and see Ray or Eric at National Coin and Stamp... Super A+ Guys. I have dealt with them for a VERY long time and spent a lot of money with them. Ray takes time to get to know, but he is a very nice guy. Eric is Super Terrific to deal with.

MRCS is very difficult to deal with... He will NEVER be all organized and sorted out. He will say he is working on it till the end of time.

Jack at West Edmonton Mall is VERY expensive again and he also does not have much for the real collectors, he says he has stuff put away but I have yet to ever see any of it. I have also had disagreements with grading as well.

Eddie is also a great guy at the Super Flea Market. Lots of the rarer notes, lots from the back of the book. He gets most of his stuff from Olmstead.

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Daamg
  • Can you ever really get it all?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 03:18:14 am »

National Pride is my choice aswell.  I've gone to W.E.M. a few time but was tired of looking for parking and yes the stuff is higher priced.  They seem to want to push through as many people through the store as they can.  I like to take my time and shoot the @#$% sometimes.  Since National Pride relocated to 81 ave there is alot of ample parking and Ray always has some good deals ;)  National Pride all the way!

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 11:41:24 am »

Jack at WEM.  My first choice hands down.

Although I have spoken to Eric at National Pride and he has been really super. Ray is alright tioo.

MRCS, I have had excellent experience with.  Maybe the store is not appearing as organized as one might expect, but I have always had a good expereince.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 11:23:34 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 06:53:27 pm »

Do you know if these Edmonton dealers will have tables at the RCNA this summer... or should one consider a side trip to visit local dealers in town while there for the convention? 

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:28 pm »

The 2009 Edmonton RCNA Convention website provides a bourse floor layout plan and a list of participating table holders.

For more information: http://www.rcna.ca/2009bourseapp.php
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:29:00 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length