Author
Topic: Forum suggestions  (Read 7493 times)
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:32:06 am »

Hi Brent:

I was wondering about if it is at all possible to have a different type of process or program or what ever to help post images.  I know alot of members are or are always having trouble trying to upload pictures to this forum.  I don't know what else a member could use or try that wood make it a easier process??  I thought that you may know of something to help these members. What do you have for thoughts or ideas on this topic?

Maybe some different instructions on how to downsize images and so on? Also what programs a person can use to do such a job. As well as the propper steps to take when doing this procedure! ???

Thanks for now:  Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:44:12 am »

Sounds like a good idea, Jeff. That can likely be solved in two ways: a) installing a mod from the site above that does the job (if one exists), and b) preparing some instructions on basic image manipulation.

ImageShack is a really good site for hosting images and automatically creates linked thumbnail images for you so that all you need to do is copy and paste into your posts.

If anyone would like to volunteer to work write up some basic instructions, please send me a PM.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:46 am »

One of the main reasons for having this forum in the first place is to share information
Does a guest actually share information or just gather it?

This drives more visitors here.
Is there any financial gain when visitors come to the site...and click on ads on this site?

With less visitors, we get less new members, and as people leave the site, this means that ultimately the number of active users will decrease

I personally think that anyone who is serious enough about the hobby would not have a problem in becoming a registered member.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:02:18 am »

I was thinking it might be a good idea to have an area used to identify the questions that are asked repeatedly like is this a radar or rotator or where is the BPN on my 1986 $5 note or is this a devils face?

I know we have different sections for radars and errors and  terminology but the answers that are needed get buried so if there was a section with the title of each thread describing the contents with pictures included it would help answer and inform our visitors.

Gary_T
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:34:37 pm »

I myself think that a Frequently Asked Questions section would be a good thing to have on this site.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »

Re: FAQ
Great idea! Anyone want to volunteer to prepare and maintain this?

friedsquid:
Closing the forums will not be considered unless presented with a VERY compelling reason, and so far, none of the arguments are even close to compelling. I'm taking this discussion to PMs.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:00:19 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:48:59 pm »

FYI, I've prepared a basic step-by-step set of instructions on how to use ImageShack. Find it here.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 01:20:33 am »

Looks great Brent!

I was going to make one very similar to yours and post it, but you beat me to the punch.  I really think that it will cut down on a bunch of similar posts on asking why they can't get there image to appear on the threads! As well the images will mostly be posted in the same type of program so that it can be used by all, and members will get use to using and working with it.  GREAT JOB Brent ;D

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
rocken
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 03:00:20 pm »

An option at the top with the other main options linking to a  site map would be nice .

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »

An option at the top with the other main options linking to a  site map would be nice .

I think when you click on home it brings you to a site map? Or did you mean something else?

Gary_T
rocken
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:49:30 pm »

A site map would list many more options , possibly in alphabetical order. Also members would not have to scroll down searching  through the home page .

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 05:47:09 pm »

I'm still not sure what a site map would achieve that the main page doesn't already do. Site maps and forums don't generally mix well together as that purpose is usually served adequately by the main forum listing.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
rocken
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 06:25:32 pm »

I don't know if it's just me , but I find it time consuming scrolling down through the home page . Also as the forum grows in size ,where are all the options going to be listed. It sure will make a cluttered home page.

1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 12:26:27 pm »

I Noticed today that when you open the main page to the forum, there is a small section that says News: but the news never changes. So, I think we should change that to a scrolling bar (Like on a stock website, Shows all the spot prices for current stocks) that shows highs and lows for notes.

Example. (I made up these prefix's and highs/lows.)

AAA= High:7000000 Low:1000000   AAB= High:9999999 Low:3470000   AAC= High:6431060 Low: 2574279

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:50:00 pm »

Wow - That is an ambitious wish there...

While I think it would be a cool idea, it would require a significant development effort to completely rebuild how we track highs and lows. Either that, or it would require a colossal amount of manual input every time a H/L changes, and the good Lord knows just how hard it is to find reliable help around here.

I really like this idea, but realistically speaking, it simply is not feasible by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length