Author
Topic: 1954 $2 No Serial Numbers  (Read 4970 times)
johnny99
« on: March 21, 2009, 01:26:41 pm »

The attached note is advertised for sale on a well known online service.  Does this note appear to have a valid error or a manufactured error?  The asking price seems too low and we all know the old saying!  Thoughts?  Comments?

Thanks

Ken

1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:31:34 pm »

This error looks real, because usually fake errors like this look white around where the serial numbers used to be.

Just my opinion
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:07:44 pm by 1971HemiCuda »

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:38:31 pm »

I would not buy this as an error until I saw a better scan. It is too well worn and looks like it could have been washed.

Gary_T
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 02:44:32 pm »

I dont think I would every buy on of these notes, because of how many I see that are fakes.
But compared to the other ones that I know are fake, this one looks real.

The seller is asking $200 Canadian

Bob
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 05:39:16 pm »

I would be reluctant to pay over face for a well circulated 1954 note which is apparently missing the serial numbers.  Logically, is it possible for a note to remain in circulation, passing from hand to hand until it is well worn, if it has such a prominent error?  I don't think so.  Somebody would have put it away before it had received much circulation. 
Every well circulated note with no serial number that I have examined has had the serial number removed after it entered circulation.  For the reason explained above, you would probably be safer buying a very high grade note; besides, a high grade note would be more likely to show the effects of the treatment it took to get the numbers off if it was a fake error.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 05:48:28 pm »

I would be reluctant to pay over face for a well circulated 1954 note which is apparently missing the serial numbers.  Logically, is it possible for a note to remain in circulation, passing from hand to hand until it is well worn, if it has such a prominent error?  I don't think so.  Somebody would have put it away before it had received much circulation. 
Every well circulated note with no serial number that I have examined has had the serial number removed after it entered circulation.  For the reason explained above, you would probably be safer buying a very high grade note; besides, a high grade note would be more likely to show the effects of the treatment it took to get the numbers off if it was a fake error.
You make a very good point!

johnny99
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 06:20:53 pm »

Indeed.

Thanks all for the input.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 07:57:43 pm »

I concur with these comments completely. I too have personally observed several such notes and I remain convinced that each of them was a note that originally had serial numbers present.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length