Author
Topic: My Future on the Canadian Paper Money Forum  (Read 8431 times)
FogDevil
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:21:33 am »

Hi,

I have been a dedicated poster to these forums since December 2007, and I really enjoyed my time here discussing about my interest in Canadian banknotes, especially the vibrant purple $10 banknotes I have enjoyed for years.

Unfortunately, due to reasons beyond my control, I have to move on to the next chapter of my life.  Therefore, I am announcing my retirement from the Canadian Paper Money Forum (and no, this is no April Fool's joke).

Most of my posts do relate to my interest in $5 and $10 banknotes, and I even backed up with valid reasons why the BoC may discontinue the $10 banknote sometime in the next decade.  Chances are, it may survive another series, and if the BoC makes the ultimate decision to cancel the $10 banknote, then they can do it.

Banknotes have become less and less interesting to me in recent months, and I haven't received very much in terms of crisp $5 bills at banks since last summer.  It is uncertain as to when I will see a crisp Jenkins-Carney signature $5 bill in my region at some point.  I have had some J-C $5s in my change, or I received them from banks as already circulated bills.  That said, I will focusing my attention on getting $20 banknotes from the ATM on a regular basis (as to me, I realized that $20 banknotes are more the "comfort bills" for me), and if any J-C $5s exist in my hometown, they will come to me in my change.

I will also be phasing out my ritual banking just to change money for smaller denominations in the coming months.  I will only go to the bank for getting small denominations once per month, and by the turn of the next decade, my days of anticipating new bills will finally come to an end.

I hope to start off the decade with a clean slate free of stress from anticipating crisp new banknotes from banks.  I really had a fun time on these forums, and maybe you'll hear from me on other forums someday.

Thanks,
FogDevil

P.S.  I wish to have my username disabled, not banned (but not delete my posts with it) by the middle of April.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:23:51 am by FogDevil »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:39:25 am »

Unfortunately, due to reasons beyond my control, I have to move on to the next chapter of my life.  Therefore, I am announcing my retirement from the Canadian Paper Money Forum (and no, this is no April Fool's joke).
It is unfortunate that we have to lose a member that has contributed to the forum so much in the past, and I'm sure you will be missed by many; however, that being said, we all seem to have priorities and changes occurring in these times and I personally wish you the best in the years to come. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Sincerely,
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 05:02:11 pm »

Best of luck for the future. I hope your contributions to the CPMS Newsletter will not suffer the same fate as your use of the forums.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
FogDevil
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:49:26 pm »

Good news...  I have decided to cancel my retirement - at least for now.  I really enjoy my time on these boards, and I decided to extend my career on the forums.

This thread can now be locked.  Brent, please do the honours. ;)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:56:08 pm »

I have decided to cancel my retirement
So does this mean that you will send back the gift I sent you ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:01:29 pm »

I retired in 2003, and was recently fired as trends editor.
I am still running coin shows, the next is in St. Catharines end of May.

Rick
FogDevil
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 01:40:18 pm »

Well, it looks like this post (one short of #100) is going to be my final post after all.

I have been experiencing psychological problems related to banknotes, serial numbers, and denomination sizes over the past decade, and has been holding back my development for quite some time.  I have no choice other than to throw in the towel and give up banknotes unless absolutely necessary.  This means whatever banknotes I have in my wallet right now I will be depositing into my account, and I am thinking about making electronic payments from now on.  The only time I will use cash will be for cab fare if I need to, which won't likely be until the winter or something like it.  Other than that, the only cash I will have on hand will be loonies for small purchases.  In today's world, I don't make as many payments with cash as I did five or more years ago.  Many people rely on debit payments now, and I may as well go the way of many Canadians, especially since Canadian banknotes and serial numbers have caused me grief in the long run.

It was great fun on this forum for the past year and a half, but I must move on to the next chapter of my life as we head into a new decade and a better life free from stress.

BTW. this stress I have experienced puts genuine meaning to the saying "money is the root of all evil."

Goodbye folks, and good riddance to stress.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:42:01 pm by FogDevil »
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 02:32:09 pm »

?
harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 04:08:09 pm »

I didn`t know that collecting paper money is some kind of sporting event. Retiring when you think you have nothing left to contribute, then you talk to poeple around you and you say "not yet! I still have a little something left in the tank" than you come back to find out that there realy is nothing left in your tank.

One thing that might help is a long vacation!

FogDevil
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 04:33:59 pm »

One thing that might help is a long vacation!

More like a permanent vacation.

*puts on Aerosmith's 1987 CD of the same name and listens to Dude (Looks Like A Lady) as he heads off into the sunset*

- 100th post (and likely my last)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:04:55 pm by FogDevil »
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 05:19:18 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:40:07 am by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
FogDevil
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 06:51:27 pm »

Hey FogDevil

When was the last time you receive a GUnc $5 note?

It was last July, and it was an APC. :(

Not to mention APC was first seen in UNC in my province around Christmas 2007.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:02:04 pm by FogDevil »
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 07:14:24 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:39:04 am by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 07:41:42 pm »

I experienced a stress leave like that too (just returning) due to other things going on in life, not to mention having a few heated debates, and doing some heavy reading.

Not sure what you really mean, but if you need to step back again and let this be a hobby, then that might be a good thing in itself.  That's what I did, and it turned stress into actual enjoyment, and no longer did it rule my life.

I think I was a bit OCD over the notes for a while.

Sorry to see you go, I hope I speak for the rest when I say you are welcome back anytime.

Peace-
Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
FogDevil
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 08:53:01 pm »

well if you want i will mail you and new crisp AAB. Just email me you address.

I think I will pass, but thanks for the offer.  The serial numbers and banknotes are just overwhelming and it does nothing but fuel obsession even more.  I feel like it's time to go electronic from now on.

While I am online, I do have another deep, dark confession I would like to make.  I, in fact, have a disability (I am autistic, for those not in the know).  My obsession over banknotes and serial numbers does have a tie-in to my attachment of letters and numbers, which I have had since I was about age 5 (Sesame Street seemed to have been a bad influence, IMO).  The repetition of the animated segments on Sesame Street featuring letters and numbers have been mesmerizing me, and although my mother banned the show by the mid-80s (I was nearly 13 when I stopped watching it), the effects still linger to this very day.  It's quite possible that letters and numbers and certain fonts do seem to have some kind of effect on triggering my obsession over a period of 3 decades.  As a result, my obsession over serial numbers and banknotes have been consuming my life and holding back my development.  I am desperate to move forward and progress in life.

As I head into the next decade, it's time for me to turn over a new leaf and go with the majority of Canada's population by turning to electronic payments, and if it means anything to kill my paper money obsession for good, making electronic payments and little or no exposure to banknotes is the only route for me to go.

That said, I'm officially done with banknotes, and I thank you all for being great supporters, so now I must move on with my life and get my life back on track.

Oh, and by the way, I look forward to July 1st this year - the fireworks that prevail on that night will not only signify Canada's 142nd birthday, but also it will signify the demise of an obsession that I have had for nearly 30 years.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:09:04 pm by FogDevil »

Login with username, password and session length