Author
Topic: foreign notes  (Read 5577 times)
sergepauline
« on: December 31, 2003, 03:32:39 pm »

Hello all.   I was just wondering if anyone is interested in foreign notes.  I have 3 notes of " The Confederate States of America "  , 1861 , 1862, 1864 . Would there be any demands for such notes.    I can be reached at e-mail :   slantoine61@hotmail.com        thanks
Steve11
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 04:17:51 pm »

Only if they are authentic...there is a tremendous number of "phoney" notes from the CSA around...some are "authorized??" copies,,,and are marked as such..others are just plain phony's
sergepauline
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 08:38:55 pm »

thanks for the information. I did not know about the phonys, how can a person tell them apart.    Serge
Steve11
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 10:17:48 pm »

Well,,,as the old saying goes..if they look too good to be over 100 years old..they probably are...seriously...one needs to take them to an expert to really tell....some are obvious...ie: the paper is too thick..or the print is "off"... or they just dont have that right feel about them...guess what I am saying,,is .. an expert opinion..on CSA notes..especially with us being here in Canada..is most important..take em to the next trade show you go to....one of the paper money experts will be able to tell you right away.
harold
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 03:46:09 pm »

Canada also has reproductions of old notes.  The most common, I think, is the 1859 $1 Bank of Western Canada.

They show up every now and then on eBay as "rare" old notes   ::)

The easiest way to tell this $1 reproduction is that the serial number is 245 and "COPY" is printed in the lower left corner.

If someone claims to have the original, don't bite.  I know exactly where the original is.   ;)

Harold
Bob
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 11:33:01 pm »

An easy way to tell whether a CSA note is real or a reproduction is to examine the signatures:  the genuine notes were nearly always signed by hand, with pen and ink.  The ink colour is normally brown, sometimes red.  On the reproductions, the signatures were done as part of the printing process, and will appear black.  I am going from memory here - my copy of Slabaugh's book is 60 km away at present - but I think this will help you distinguish most of the reproductions.  If memory serves, the 50 cent notes were not always hand signed, but otherwise exceptions are few.
A lot of reproductions came out about 40 - 50 years ago and were included as a "bonus" with slabs of pink bubble gum.  These are much smaller than the real notes, and of course are not hand signed.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
sergepauline
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 10:14:26 pm »

thanks Bob, Steve and Harold, for the information.  The signatures are black , so most likely reproductions. I love this site, I am always learning.  thanks again.

Login with username, password and session length