Author
Topic: Merchants Bank of Canada $5 1906  (Read 4226 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:37:35 pm »

Yesterday I was fortunate in purchasing the note illustrated in the picture below from a Kijiji-type of online site. It's not a great rarity but it's not common either. The seller was a self-professed hoarder of odds and ends who told me he had kept it for 25 years because he "liked the design". I'm particularly happy with this note because it's never been washed or pressed and the ink signature at the left is still very strong. Condition is VG or possibly slightly better but the "eyeball" grade is higher (as is often the case with these green background tint notes). The only other notes the seller had were a $2 1937 Coyne-Towers in Fine and a VG shinplaster.

It's always reassuring when a previously unreported note emerges from the woodwork as that gives all of us the necessary incentive to "keep up the hunt".

{http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1293040/May27_2009.jpg}
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:40:06 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
flavoie
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:29:17 pm »

Really nice note.. i also like the boat design... and the note also have a great value (start at 450$ in VG) ;-)

Fred

Login with username, password and session length