Author
Topic: What are "Soft Corners"?  (Read 6212 times)
archer
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:36:08 am »

Hello all,
Can someone please explain what a soft corner is?  Charlton's 21st edition describes a CHOICE UNC note as "must have sharp edges and corners" but impairment may include "a very slight soft corner". I am confused. Is a soft corner one notch below sharp? Is this the same as a muted corner? My understanding of muted is that it results from dull cutting blades. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

archer
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:45:07 am »

I was always under the impression that a soft corner was more of a wear and tear issue from handling as opposed to a machine/cutting issue.
Again, just what I thought?
Thread should be moved to "Terminology" for future reference.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
archer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:12:31 pm »

Thanks Freidsquid. Sounds reasonable to me. I think though that Charlton should add a terminolgy page as part of their grade descriptions section and perhaps include a photo of each demerit.

archer
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:39:11 pm »

Hello Archer .
Check out this link it has some interesting info and pics regarding some of the demerit issues.

http://www.banknotecertification.com/definitions.php#embossing

archer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:43:22 pm »

Hey Friedsquid.
Great link. Very informative. Thanks for the input.

archer
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:57:56 am »

I would agree with Squids explanation on the subject of a soft corner.

I always thought that a soft corner is something that was due to usage of the note from all the inappropriate handling of a note that all of us are guilty of at one time or another. The link that Squid added has some real good info on the various types of flaws that can knock down your very nice note, and those flaws add up oh so quickly, Don't they!!!

Bugsy

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
archer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:43 am »

That is so true! I'm regrading my notes strictly using Charlton's standards and have found that my older notes have taken a beating. Where I thought I had purchased an UNC graded note, after applying the new guidelines, at very best a VF or F grade resulted! Has anyone else had the same experience? I'm beginning to think that as a novice collector years ago, it goes without question that I should have checked the grade of the notes I purchased more thoroughly.

archer
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:45:30 am »

No doubt about it. I'm sure that many collectors, especially those new at the time will likely find that many of their notes have been downgraded when using the new guidelines. However, in some instances by dealing with reputable dealers, I have been fortunate enough to have always bought the best I could afford at the time and because of that some so called UNC notes are now actually CHOICE ;D

MrsCasanova
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 04:36:47 pm »

@ friedsquid...

thanks for the link! It was actually quite helpful!

MrsC
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:46:18 pm by BWJM »

Login with username, password and session length