Author
Topic: I got jobbed  (Read 4297 times)
DrFever
« on: July 04, 2009, 11:47:30 am »

I hope this is the proper thread for this discussion but I have a concern and question, or maybe two.

I recently bought a 1923 $5.00 Bank of Montreal note.  Unfortunately the seller is no longer active.  (of course it was bought off that you know what auction site).  Now the note wasn't graded but nice sized scans were available.

I got the note and was examining it. right away I could tell it was pressed and it had a faint fabric softener smell, like fresh laundry.  Right away I knew the note had been cleaned and pressed.

Is this note now worthless?  Can it still be graded according to grading standards?  The note has a VF+ appearance but I think I got literraly taken to the cleaners on this and any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 12:00:38 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:20:12 am by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:26:47 am »

I think you mean "I got gypped" or "I got jibbed", not "I got jobbed"!

We've all paid our dues as far as buying cleaned, washed and pressed notes is concerned and it can still happen from time to time even to very experienced collectors. It's all part of the learning experience. As time goes by more and more notes are being processed by unscrupulous sellers who are seeking to make a quick profit and soon, sad to say, a processed note is likely to become the norm. On the other hand, some collectors aren't too concerned about processing as long as the note looks clean and bright.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 04:14:57 pm »

Notify the seller, and negotiate to return the note for a refund or make a settlement, even if the seller isn't active. You made the deal with the seller, not with the operators of the platform it was purchased through. Don't simply surrender and be unsatisfied. Unless the seller's idea to start with was a ripoff, most sellers will try to make the deal a good one. If ripoff appears to be the case, notify the operator of the seller's platform, with the seller's name. It may go after the seller on your behalf. You may also have recourse via the method by which you paid (credit-card company/bank/etc.). It's your money. Get it back if you're not satisfied.

Login with username, password and session length