Author
Topic: Scanner question  (Read 3704 times)
Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:31:01 pm »

I just changed my computer this week and I now have to use Windows Vista. My HP 2200C Series scanner that I had bought in 2001 cannot work with Windows Vista, so now I have to buy a new one... what a scam  :o

I think new scanners can recognize banknotes and sometimes the computer will add some kind of rainbow colours on the portraits.

Does anyone knows if you can still buy a new scanner that doesn't recognize banknotes ?

Philippe
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:40:11 pm »

Unfortunately, all brand name scanners have a microchip device built in which recognizes all global currency notes in use.  The only way of keeping your existing scanner (without forking out $) is to use an older model laptop (ie. 2 years old or so) that runs on Windows XP, or older version, where they have a USB Port.  That way, you can continue to enjoy your use of your scanner, scan the images using your existing HP scanner, and then transfer the photos/images to your new computer via a USB memory stick.   

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:32:26 pm »

There are no brand name scanners/all-in-one printers that will handle that anymore. You may want to look into whether or not your new system can handle XP virtualization in Windows 7, the new OS coming out next month. If it can, there is an excellent chance of your old scanner working in 7 with the XP drivers. You should be entitled to get a free upgrade to the new OS.

Do you have a tower or a laptop? For a tower you can also buy a second hard drive (a 500GB one can be had for ~$50 now online) and set up a dual-boot system with your old XP license and use the old scanner that way. Post your new PC's make and model and I will tell you if it can be dual-booted with XP.

That is the route I chose... Dual-boot XP/Vista with all my scanning being done in XP on my old HP 3180 all-in-one. Now that I think about it, I am going to test if my old HP will install on my testbed Windows 7 release candidate system... back in a bit!

Good luck!

Fenian

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:26:23 pm »

It works for my old 3180 machine! Sweet...

More importantly, the following page has instructions on how to get your scanner working with Vista:

http://domeheid.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-install-hp-scanjet-2200c-on.html

Good luck!

Fenian

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 01:13:49 pm »

Thank you for all your replies to my problem.

I tried Fenian's advice and it didn't work. It doesn't work for everyone if you read all the comments.

I guess Microsoft and the computer industry won again... I will have to buy a new scanner or use my 1999 laptop that I kept from university.

Philippe
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 03:38:45 pm »

Hey Fen

Just to let you know I purchased a Brother 7 in 1 printer/fax/copier etc... back April and it works fine. I too had to replace an old computer that was 8 or 9 years old and to replace my scanner. This one works quite fine and it doesn't stop me from scanning any banknotes whatsoever.

Denis

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 04:23:40 pm »

In any case, any good digital camera will be able to take very good pictures (especially if there is a "raw" option) without any hassle about the "security" devices... ;)

Login with username, password and session length