Author
Topic: CPMS note registers  (Read 5709 times)
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:49:48 am »

I have just finished a project to compile into a separate volume the note registers from CPMS Newsletters since its format was changed in 1993.
It included an astonishing 194 pages. Some are partial pages but most are full.
The folks who compiled this information are due a massive round of thanks.
Harry Eisenhauer is by far the most prolific contributor. His efforts must have taken hundreds if not thousands of hours of accumulating the data.
Bob Graham is the second-most prolific contributor.
Also to be thanked are — and this is dangerous because someone is sure to be missed — (not in any order) Geoff Bell, Michael Zigler, Brent Mackie and Harold Brown.
This data is of incredible value to the folks who study and collect in this realm.
I encourage anyone reading this who knows of other contributors to add them here.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:58:31 pm by alvin5454 »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:40 am »

Oh I hardly had anything to do at all with any of that... Maybe one piece here or there but nothing to get excited about. The other folks on the list, especially Harry and Bob are the ones who deserve all the credit.

Of course, you do realize alvin that what you have there is a mere drop in the bucket, right? The CPMS is desiring a similar project but of a much greater scope so as to encompass all note registers including those published prior to your starting point of 1993, and all those as-yet-unpublished. I have brought your post to the attention of the CPMS president. I hope that you might be willing to speak with him regarding this exciting project that you have so far demonstrated a clear interest in.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Bob
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:49:30 am »

There are more note registers to be found in some of the CPMS Journals.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 01:02:19 pm »

That will be my next effort. I know some of the registers in the journals are more extensive, accompanying the in-depth research, but there are fewer of them. Should be a relatively quick compilation.
Then I will go back through as many of the smaller-format newsletters...

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:08:37 pm »

It goes without saying but all members who encounter scarce and rare notes that have not previously been reported should communicate the data (with a scan) to the appropriate authorities. Sometimes it takes a bit of an effort to do this but we're all in this together and we all have a responsibility to future generations of collectors. There will of course always be a few rare notes that will remain hidden, for example in overseas collections and possibly private institutions, in the collections of "closet collectors" who prefer to remain anonymous, and so on.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length