Author
Topic: Serial Number Database - New High/Low System!  (Read 7474 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:14:48 pm »

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a project recently called the Serial Number Database.

As you've read in other posts, this is a huge project that is designed to collect data from as many circulating banknotes as possible so that we can facilitate tons of research both in the present and the future.

One of the other purposes for this site is the High/Lows. Up until now, we have been posting to threads on the forums whenever we find a new note that is higher than the known high or lower than the known low. Now however, this information should be added to the Serial Number Database. The High/Low tables will be automatically generated based on the information in the database, so there's no longer any waiting around for a moderator.

Another neat feature is that when you input a note to the SNDB, it does a bunch of checks on the number. It will tell you if the note is a special number (radar, rotator, etc), if it is from a confirmed insert range, and if it is a new high or low number!

You can access the SNDB from the following URL, or by clicking the "serial number db" button in the toolbar above. Please use your CPMF login information.

The High/Low forums are now locked. Please use the SNDB for all future high/low reports!

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions for improvement of the SNDB, please send me a PM or email.

Thanks!
--BWJM

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jtfrogger
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:43:53 pm »

I am not able to post in the thread you created to announce it, but I figured I would reply here and say that is pretty cool.  I entered a few notes, including some that were known radars or replacements.  It works just fine based on my initial entries.

That is a very cool little app.

[edit]Moved this reply to where it should be. Thanks for the compliments! --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:48:00 pm by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:07:55 pm »

Here's an example of one of the features of the SNDB:

FEM8080808 99/99
This note has been added to the database.
This is a 2-DIGIT RADAR note! (N1-ii)
This is a ROTATOR note! (N9)
This is a 2-DIGIT CYCLE REPEATER note! (N10-i)
This is a REPLACEMENT note!
FEM 7.524M-8.226M 702k Sheet (GPM22)
This is a NEW HIGH note! (Previous high: FEM7999999)

The above is only an example, but it shows you many of the possible informational messages you could see when entering notes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:51:05 pm »

In the last 48 hours, we have added over $20,000 face value worth of notes to the SNDB! That's amazing work, everyone!

As of right now, the SNDB contains 27,325 notes for a total face value of $319,995!

The SNDB has already been instrumental in confirming and adjusting several insert ranges. All of the BTT and BTU data that has been submitted over the last few months is also in the SNDB, and this has helped define all of the ranges and suspected populations for these error notes.

We're always looking for more notes, so please pull out your wallets and enter whatever notes you have. Enter notes from your collection. Go to the bank and grab a pile of circulated notes and enter them. Be a part of the biggest collective research project that Canadian numismatics has ever known! We always need new notes too because there are always new insert ranges that need to be confirmed.

As mentioned above, the SNDB is now also what drives the High/Low system, so if you want your name to appear on the High/Lows, grab some notes and start entering them!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length