Author
Topic: New Journey $5 Test Note (This is NOT a Joke!)  (Read 69423 times)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2006, 02:25:27 pm »

I will check the notes under my black light tonight.

I will compare a note from both Test Ranges against an HOY.  ;)

An idea that was thrown out was a possible chemical reaction that changes the color of the paper....  :-/

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2006, 02:44:06 pm »

Has anyone compared these notes under ultraviolet light?  
The notes are the same under UV and IR light.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:44:32 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2006, 03:50:09 pm »

Very Interesting....

So, Possibly a chemical marker???

eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2006, 05:49:44 pm »

Solvents like benzene, varsol or nail polish remover would cause damage to a plastic but might not affect paper.  

Who wants to try it?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:50:33 pm by eyevet »

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2006, 07:48:12 pm »

Hummm......  :-/

I thought Burning the note was crazy but this sounds REALLY interesting..... :D

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2006, 09:59:27 pm »

X-Savior, I copied this from a post I made in another thread.  Try the following torture test on your HOT notes:

What are cup marks?

I admit I don't use bundles of notes as doilies :)
LOL...that one's cute, had to laugh!  Apparently "cup marks" are found only on the Journey series, because of the security thread that runs down the righthand side of the note.  The security thread is metallic and thus the note is a bit harder to cut through at that spot and a little half-moon shaped indentation is left during the cutting process, either at the top or bottom of the note at the security thread.

OK X-Savior, now you have your next test for your HOW notes...set them around the house and use them as doilies, coasters, placemats, etc. and see how they stand up.  Plastic also shrivels up under extreme heat and we're in the middle of a heat wave - have you tried leaving one under the windshield of your car?

Just remember to stay IN your car...some desperate soul might break into it to steal your $5.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:00:53 pm by venga50 »

eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2006, 10:19:15 pm »

The two HOW's I got are HOW 0842582 and 83   FP is 42 and BP is 44 on both notes.   I honestly can't tell if there is any difference .... the paper feels thinner but since I paid extra for these I haven't tried any fancy tests.  I also have HOW 6132331 FP 11 BP 27 and the paper feels thicker than the 0.84 notes.

On Saturday at CNA I will bring a surgical caliper.  If someone can bring a bundle of 50 test HOW's and a regular bundle of 50 notes, I can measure the thickness of the bundles and compute a paper thickness.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:25:21 pm by eyevet »

sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2006, 12:46:47 pm »

Received note HOW 0536110 today. I see and feel nothing different than any other recent prefix of fives.

As I mentioned in my original post, on this subject, the paper seems to be somewhat thinner in the last few prefixes. Temperature and humidity do play a role in the " feel " of journey notes.

Hopefully someone will show me more of these notes at the CNA this weekend. Until I'm convinced otherwise HOWs are just another regular prefix.

Gary  

JB-2007
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2006, 08:04:42 pm »

The H0WO524163 that i got a few days ago is indeed slightly different than other HOWs that i have seen. Today i got HOW3291901, HOW3422628, HOW8806630. These 3 notes appear to have a different paper composition than that of HOW0524163, that same note was very hard to rip. I did try but didn't tear it. On the other hand the three HOWs found today ripped easily with little effort, so yes indeed i will agree that HOW notes in the 0.52-0.54 range are different!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 08:05:40 pm by JB105 »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2006, 01:55:02 am »

Eyevet, I am not sure if that will have enough difference to be noticed, I think a more accurate test would be by weight.  a full bundle of regular, vs HOW test.  Do you have a small medical scale of some sort?
See you at the CNA.
Huds

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2006, 12:38:48 pm »

I have a digital postal scale that weighs in grams.  We would need a pretty fancy biochemistry scale to weigh in milligrams.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2006, 12:51:43 am »

I'd just like to say that the "test" notes that I received appeared no different from regular notes of other prefixes (specifically an HOJ). The tested note was numbered HOW 0842576.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2006, 02:45:17 am »

Based on a majority of the senior members - seems that these are just regular notes.   Unless otherwise.  

Smile from your heart.  ;D
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2006, 06:19:20 am »

Well....This is getting more and more interesting with every post.....

Kinda like a Roller Coaster....   :-/

I am going to compair these notes to every single Journey Series $5 Prefix as I own every one of them (ANU and up).

I have yet to see a single other note that was ANYTHING like these "Test" notes. I would also like to see an HOW note BELOW 0.52 and BETWEEN the two ranges to compair with...

After I check all the notes and compair with some certian HOU that have come to my attention I am going to put my results in my FINAL post on this issue... :-/

Thank You!  :-/

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2006, 07:41:51 am »

Jeez, I didn't know that paper money collectors could be so weird - the ideas about how to test these notes have been hilarious at times!  I'll bet any Bank of Canada employee reading the forum is having a good laugh on how we're torturing the HOW notes.

OK - here's another test.  Staple a regular note to the sole of your left shoe and a HOW note to the sole of your right.  Walk around for a day or two and see which note holds up better  :D

Login with username, password and session length