Author
Topic: Beilstein flame test on BCS sleeves  (Read 24401 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 02:21:04 am »

Do we still have no closure on this topic?

No hay banda  
rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 04:12:53 pm »

The Belstein is not a reliable test.  There are archive safe holders that are unplasticized safety flips that show a green flame with this test.  These are the same ones used by museums for long term storage.
The link below is for the coin ones that I order by the 1000 for the last 15 years and have never had a problem.
http://scott-western.com/store/page79.html

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »

After contacting the manufacturer of BCS's holder, I have some information that may shed some light on this question.  Yes, BCS holders do contain PVC's, otherwise knows as Poly Vinal Chloride...

The admission by BCS that their product contains polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is consistent with the Beilstein test findings that show the presence of halide-bearing compounds in the graded slabs.  So the integrity of the Beilstein test is not in question, it is the interpretation of the results.  That is where my observations in comparing the PMG and BCS holders come into play.  The BCS holders feel more pliable than the stiffer PMG slabs, and I find that BCS holders scratch and cloud easily from contact.  That tells me BCS holders are made of softer material.  Whether that means BCs holders are safe for long-term storage or not is unknown.  The information provided by BCS is ambiguous, and it's a safe bet that I'm not driving to Kitchener to read a technical report.  It's also unlikely that anyone is going to run an experiment where they observe the changes in notes housed in BCS holders over a 20 year period.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:27:32 am by mmars »

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length