Author
Topic: Any ideas on how grading polymer notes will change...if at all?  (Read 4970 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

Just wondering how the grading of polymer notes will be different than the way our current paper notes are graded?
Will a circulated note pass for an uncirculated note because the wear and tear it shows is not as noticeable as it is now?
Looking forward to any opinions from members and any TPG's that happen to have any input.
Will the polymer notes have certain quirks that are only seen in these notes as some of the quirks that the Journey series had ie. cutting cups etc....
Will TPG's have a new set of guidelines....or will it take time before they familiarize themselves with these new notes before grading is done....?

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
AZ
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:15:54 am »

As someone who collects polymer notes, I can make the following observations.

The grading according to wear should be similar to that of paper notes. Any imperfections are actually easier to notice on polymer notes as their surface is more reflective. Any hard wrinkles or creases tend to be more pronounced.

As polymer notes do not have embedded threads or holographic bands or patches made of a different material, there are no cutting cups. I did notice ripples on the surface of some uncirculated notes which came straight from a bank. The ripples may be introduced during the production process but I am not certain about this. Most often unc notes are very smooth and flat, comparing to paper notes.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:55:40 am »

Most often unc notes are very smooth and flat, comparing to paper notes.
So can a polymer note be pressed and not noticed?

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:43:22 am »

I suppose pressing may help getting rid of soft creases but I haven't experimented myself. Plastic will probably respond better to pressing than paper notes. However, hard creases are permanent, and pressing will most likely not improve the look of such notes.

Since polymer currency is only 20 years old, there are no issues or varieties that are impossible to find, and the prices are reasonable. This said, there is no reason in going through the trouble of improving the appearance of notes. 
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:40 am »

Since polymer currency is only 20 years old, there are no issues or varieties that are impossible to find, and the prices are reasonable.

That's not entirely true! Some of the rarest and most expensive plastic notes are from HAITI, believe it or not! Some of Haiti's rarest plastic notes have sold in the thousands of dollars at major auctions. Haiti used a plastic called TYVEK but I think they've since reverted to paper. Just do an eBay search for "HAITI TYVEK" and you'll find some examples in the $400-$500 range.

I'm quite familiar with plastic notes from Australia, the Isle of Man, and elsewhere. It's very true that you often see unc plastic notes with gentle ripples along the horizontal edges. I'm not personally attracted to plastic currency just like I'm not attracted to coins and tokens made out of zinc, lead and iron! However, plastic notes are here to stay and there are already catalogues on the subject:

http://www.banknotenews.com/files/d2c2b4503c24a7fa71f959e9c7ee2e54-484.html

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/WORLD-POLYMER-PLASTIC-BANKNOTES-AWARD-WINNING-CATALOG/350272798125

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:07:20 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:18:56 am »

That is correct, most of TYVEK notes are indeed quite rare and expensive. I was talking about the "clear plastic" Guardian polymer banknotes which were first issued in late 1980s, as this is likely to be the type of notes to be introduced in Canada. The TYVEK notes look and feel very much like paper notes.

Login with username, password and session length