Author
Topic: Adobe CS banknote patch  (Read 7047 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: November 18, 2004, 03:49:05 pm »

I just downloaded a banknote patch for Adobe CS. I don't know if it works, haven't installed it yet.

Dave
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 03:58:22 pm »

Could you provide a link for that patch?

Thanks

d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:25:47 pm »

Well, if people are interested, I can just email the patch to you. It's very small. Please email me at:

polod@westman.wave.ca
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 05:51:40 pm »

Could you provide any more information about this patch?  Who owns the copyright?  Is it freeware?  What software licence does it come attached to?

It seems that the counterfeit detection software is pretty useless if there's a patch that's widely distributed.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 06:15:59 pm »

Just to be safe, please post a link to a trusted website from where the patch can be downloaded.

I'm not trying to suggest that there may be any funny business going on, but I want to ensure that the download is from a trusted source (such as www.adobe.com) and it can be guaranteed not to contain trojans, viruses, etc.  Too often people unsuspectingly distribute viruses and trojans without having any clue that the file is infected.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 06:16:55 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 06:52:28 pm »

Well, I got the patch on bit torrent. You have to install a bit torrent client software on your PC, either regular bit torrent or ABC bit torrent. If you don't know what bit torrent is, look it up in google. Then go to :

www.suprnova.org

Then go to apps, then PC photo editing, then it's the second item listed as, Adobe Photoshop CS banknote patch. Click on it and save the bit torrent link to your hard drive. Click on the saved link and bit torrent will download it. It's about 200 kbs in size, very small.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 07:29:48 pm »

If that's the case, then it sounds like this patch is completely unauthorized.  If it is a legitimate patch issued by Adobe, then its use must be restricted to those who are in some way authorized (i.e. licenced) to use it.

In any case, it seems as though it's something that the general public should not have.  It's like those lists of software serial numbers that are also available on Bit Torrent.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 07:46:48 pm »

For the safety of everyone here at the CPMF, I would recommend that you NOT attempt to download this alleged Photoshop CS patch.  It is not from a trusted, authorized source, and may contain a virus, trojan, etc.

If you do choose to attempt to download it, you are doing so AT YOUR OWN RISK. :o :o :o

Having spent time in the IT industry notably on a helpdesk for a 2000-employee company with offices worldwide, I have seen way too many examples of people downloading what appears to be an innocent joke, game, patch, etc and it turns out to be a key logger, virus, trojan, spyware, adware, you name it. >:( Not fun.

d-polo: I'm sure everyone appreciates your good intentions in wanting to disseminate a way around that pesky anti-counterfeiting "feature" (I know I'd like to subvert it if I had Photoshop CS), but since it's not a file released directly from Adobe and confirmed to be authorized and clean of any nasty little digital parasites, it's not a great idea to spread it around. :-[

NB: In the proposed forum rules, the following refers to links to such files:
Links to other websites that contain binary files are not allowed, unless this site is a confirmed trusted site. Links to binary files that look suspicious or are Trojans/viruses will result in a permanent IP ban. Links to promotion sites or referral type-sites are not allowed. Linking to such sites will result in an official warning and/or ban at a moderator/admin's discretion.

This rule is included as an effort to protect our members from potentially harmful downloads.

Please review the proposed forum rules and post your comments, opinions and suggestions!  We need to hear from you! :D  Click here to view the proposed forum rules.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 07:51:33 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 08:40:03 pm »

I know the patch is unauthorized, I just thought I'd tell people there is a patch out there if they want to get around the problem with scanning banknotes while using the Adobe CS program. It's up to the individual if they want to use it or not.  I scanned the patch and haven't found any viruses. Hopefully, most people have an antivirus program installed and check the patch before installing. But, if you do download the patch, user beware. All I was saying in my first post was, there is a patch if people want it. If not, don't use it or use an older version of Adobe to scan banknotes in.

Login with username, password and session length