Author
Topic: Storage solution question!  (Read 2884 times)
LaineNZ
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:22:50 am »

I was just wondering which is the best way to store a large amount of AU banknotes? I have single sleeves, but I was recently given 53 UNC 1973 1 dollar notes (I know they aren't rare or worth much, maybe two bucks on a good day), and I have no idea what to do with them. I want to keep the vast majority because I love that note specifically, but I don't know the best way to store or display them. Are binders alright? But then I worry about bending the pages. Are sleeves the best? Then I have 100 loose sleeves to worry about. I have other far more valuable notes that I want to protect as well. Should I go with hard sleeves?

I figured I'd ask you more experienced collectors before I go buy some storage solution that I'm going to regret later.

Anything is helpful at this point.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:05:51 am »

For loose notes that I dont care too too much about, I just keep them flat in one of those 330 count cardboard boxes meant for baseball cards. Loose bills as well as bills in medium sized sleeves fit well in them.

As for more valuable notes I usually put them in sleeves and then put them into binder pages. Specifically Uni-Safe or Lighthouse (SF3C - 3 Windows per page) are the ones I use. They are quite ridged and wont really bend too much (obviously I also put one of those hard protectors at the 1st and last page of the binder to minimize any chance of damage from the binder rings themselves)

Hope this helps. And welcome to the forums =p 

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:28 am »

I personally don’t like the holder sleeves that go into binders. One reason is cost but if you have a modest collection and you like to take them out a lot this isn’t a bad option. If you need any, let me know I have a tone of unused ones. What I do with my notes is I’ve found these hard boxes from the Dollar Store  ;D they cost $1 and I can fit 200 notes per box. I line the interior of the box with a paper called glassine paper. It helps with humidity and can be found at most Arts and Craft Stores and then I stand the box so that the notes DON’T lie flat. Over time this could/will press your notes. If the notes within the box have too much room to move around I throw in a few pieces of cardboard to fill in the gap but make sure the last note rests on a nice flat cardboard (like a cereal box and don’t lie your note on the printed side, just in case the ink transfers onto your note) or any groves in the cardboard will eventual press itself onto you notes. Then store your notes in a nice dry place, SDB are really the best place. Take some pictures of the notes you do like and save yourself the trouble of having to pull your notes out and risk damaging them. I’ve heard many horror stories about notes being damaged accidently.

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition

Login with username, password and session length