Author
Topic: 1936 King Edward VIII note  (Read 6491 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:32 pm »

I have long been intrigued by the image of the King Edward VIII note shown on page 3 of this PDF, which is a preview of the BoC's The Art and Design of Canadian Banknotes publication.  It appears to be a specimen or production proof.

I haven't seen the rest of the book.  Question for those of you that have:  Is there any other description of the note?  Does it actually exist, or is it simply a photoshopped replica that was produced for the book?  I can't find any reference to it in the Currency Museum's website. 

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:33:05 pm »

As far I can tell fron this book, it seems tant it's a prototype note, bearing the King Edward VIII's portrait, engraved from a photograph.  The portrait was approved by the King and the Deputy Governor of the Bank of Canada on Nov 12th 1936.

Hope that's respond to your question.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:48:23 pm »

Thanks, copperpete.

Lo and behold, my local public library had a copy of this book, so I stopped in and had a look.  Fascinating read.  Lots of interesting prototypes in there.

Sources for the Edward VIII note and quite a lot of the other note images of the book aren't referenced at the back, nor are they found (at least I can't find them) in the National Currency Collection's website.  Does that mean that they aren't in the NCC?  Or that they're just not catalogued for public viewing?  Perhaps they're not in the NCC at all, but reside in the BoC's "private" collection in their archives?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 01:49:05 am »

The National Currency Collection has a vast amount of material, only a portion of which has been catalogued online. I'm quite confident that the above-mentioned Edward VIII item is in the collection, but good luck finding it online. A lot of the more "interesting" material such as trials, proofs, etc, particularly of material that never made it to circulation, or that is relatively new will not likely be on the website.

You can always send the Museum an email asking about it.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
coinsoldier
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:17:47 pm »

I have a few Edward VIII coins, but no banknotes.
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »

I think a print from the die is in the currency museum, it's in the 1937 series of notes, but since it's been a while since I've been there, I don't remember if there was what one would call a note on display. Sounds like a reason to head back to Ottawa for a bit.

Paper Money is Art!

Login with username, password and session length