Author
Topic: Question for you Polymer guru's out there.  (Read 6026 times)
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:20:45 pm »

BWJM and I were having a conversation regarding Canada's upcoming polymer notes we came to a question that we didn't know the answer to. Maybe one of you Polymer guru's can answer this:

With what we know about chemical softeners in PVC plastics and how they can damage paper notes due to acid leeching, does this issue also affect polymer notes in the same way? Have there been any documented occurrences of polymer notes being left in PVC non-acid-free holders?

Thanks for the insight.

polymat
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:29:50 am »

I have been collecting since 1999 from polymer banknotes. I will now read anything about it or found yourself in my collection, the banknotes placed in acid-free polymer films. so far has changed nothing of it.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:30:28 pm »

I have been collecting since 1999 from polymer banknotes. I will now read anything about it or found yourself in my collection, the banknotes placed in acid-free polymer films. so far has changed nothing of it.

Mind placing a not so valuable/easily replaceable in a NON-acid free holder and leaving it to see what happens? Thanks =p

polymat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:32 am »

I mean the banknotes have since I keep them wrapped in acid-free polymer does not change
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:41:22 am »

I know. the question is whether or not Holders with PVC softeners affect polymer notes in a similar way as they do to paper notes (ie.... acid leeching)

rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:57:52 am »

Good thing they are cotton ;)

polymat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:16:30 am »

I know. the question is whether or not Holders with PVC softeners affect polymer notes in a similar way as they do to paper notes (ie.... acid leeching)

is not known to me, and I have to read anything in any way to

Login with username, password and session length