Author
Topic: Is this a counterfeit / Error $20?  (Read 4917 times)
LFP
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this forum in a search for some information about a questionable $20 bill that found its way into my wallet.  I'm not sure whether this is a counterfeit or a misprint, and I'm hoping that there might be a few members here with some more expertise to have a look and let me know.

The most glaring fault with the bill is that it's missing the holographic strip on the front.  Also, it doesn't have any raised braille bumps or raised ink on the large 20, as I have seen in other bills.

However, this bill does have the watermarks and other features that can be seen when backlit, and it does have the thin holographic strip on the back.  In addition, when viewed under UV, I can see red and yellow fibres, and the red part of the red and yellow Bank of Canada mark.

I've posted high resolution photos on my Flickr page, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lpetersen/sets/72157626225645818/

Please have a look and any advice is welcome! Cheers!

[edit] Merged two threads inquiring about the same $20 note- Wizard1 [/edit]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:04:20 pm by Wizard1 »
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »

Your note looks real.  I don't know how the holographic stripe on the face was removed, but clearly it was because every design element that was printed on top of the stripe is also missing.  The hologram is printed before anything else on the note, so if it was just the hologram missing, the rest of the design would be there.  I don't know if your note could be considered an error.  The missing texture on the large 20 counter and missing braille dots could just be the result of wear from circulation.

No hay banda  
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:32:25 pm »

Looks real to me. That, or it's one of the best fakes ever.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
LFP
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:09:37 pm »

Thanks.  Perhaps I'll post these pictures in the Error Notes forum to see if this is an error or just something that was worn off or removed.
LFP
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:15:22 pm »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has seen an error like this, where the holographic stripe on the front of the $20 bill is missing?  The note seems not to be a counterfeit.  Photos can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lpetersen/sets/72157626225645818/

Thanks for your help!
ikandiggit
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:47:18 pm »

I had a $10 note where the security strip was barely holding on and looked very similar to your note. As to the reason it wasn't adhering, I can't explain that. I no longer have the note to look at. This was at a time before I was collecting.
ShareBear
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:48:31 pm »

In my opinion the note is real but it is not an error.  It looks like the hologram was removed.  I haven't tried it myself but I believe it should be possible to remove it with a heat gun.

ikandiggit
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »

I posted a reply in your other thread.

"I had a $10 note where the security strip was barely holding on and looked very similar to your note. As to the reason it wasn't adhering, I can't explain that. I no longer have the note to look at. This was at a time before I was collecting."

Login with username, password and session length