Author
Topic: Journey Series $20 - craftsmanship?  (Read 4437 times)
lara4228
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:25:21 pm »

Hi,

At work tonight I encountered a weird 20 dollar bill.  I've many a fake ones.  Fives, Tens, Twenty and Hundreds.

This one has ALL security features this type of bill is supposed to have~only too much ... if that is possible.

It dsiplayed all the correct colour under UV.  Intermittent strips become one.  Blah blah blah.

However where the 'ghost' is and the outline of the '20' I can see C L E A R L Y when in hand, placed down on counter.  I showed it to my clerk and asked a couple of customers, they too saw it with ease.

I tried to scan it into my computer for an image for this post, but the pic shows normal.  I don't get it?

Counterfeit, poorly made or an error?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:31:54 pm by BWJM »
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 10:41:57 am »

It is hard to know exactly what you have unless it is viewed, so I will give a few suggestions.

Yes the watermark can sometimes be very visible on the note, even when laid flat. I find it more prevalent on new uncirculated notes.

Banknote thickness can also vary, resulting in the notes feeling and appearing different. This could be a result of the paper used, or the lacquer used to coat the ntoe.

If you think this is a counterfeit note, look at the following. On the modern Journey notes with the holographic strip, the two security devices that I have never seen 100%
-   Security threat, it does not show as a solid line when held up to the light.
-   Hieroglyphics number, do not line-up when help up to the light.

The bank teller showed me two notes the other day as she was not 100% they were legit, as they had a very translucent and shiny look and feel to them. After examining the notes, they were legit, and my suggestion is that someone had washed/dipped/dropped the notes into some sort of cleaner/chemical product, altering its appearance.

Your note also might be unique, as I have a few notes with very prevalent watermarks in my collection.

To answer your question, is this an error??? Once again, would have to be viewed. But I would suggest that if you cannot capture it in a photo, it might not be.

I hope this helps.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
lara4228
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »

Hi

Thank you for your response.

I did scan them in and I will post, but literally the scann does not show anything.

The first one is the one in quesiton, the second one is a note I grabbed for referencing. (ugh...this thing takes forever to load a pic! lol)

As a test I did enter them into the database and it was verified as an accepted note.

After some elimination, it is either an error or poorly made.

1 out 3 ruled out!  :P
lara4228
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »

{http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9602/scan0007b.jpg:http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9602/scan0007b.th.jpg}

Next pic.....

{http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3709/scan0008y.jpg:http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3709/scan0008y.th.jpg}
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:31:13 pm by BWJM »
ikandiggit
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:46:48 pm »

Both notes look legit to me. Usually with counterfeits, the distorted micro-printing is a dead giveaway.

The clogged "8" is pretty cool but no premium for it. If I had it, I'd keep it.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:36:21 pm »

definitely legit

Login with username, password and session length