Author
Topic: Need some advice  (Read 7731 times)
Beadyeyez
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:40 am »

I am a new member and this is my first post. I was recently "gifted" my fathers coin/paper money collection. I was wondering where the best online sites are to give me a feel for what some of the collection may be worth. I have searched and seem to only come up with sites that only list what are for sale. Thats OK but its kind of all over the place and very time consuming. I was wondering if there is a good site that lists all the serials by denominations that are rare or worth more than face value. I have read about the Charlton books and was also wondering if it is available online in a PDF or something...or should I go waaaay back old school and buy a book?
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:01:50 pm »

The Charlton book is your best bet as many banknotes are tough to find in online stores and their past sale data might be outdated.

The book is only available in "old school " style and there is a new one coming out every year around June/July. In the book you can find every banknote issued by the government and it will list all rare prefixes, types and serial number. It will also help you identify your banknotes and a guide on grading them.

Cheers

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »

KC's Canadian Currency
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:10:30 pm »

If you really want old school, go to the library, as most will carry a copies of the Charlton catalogues, and they are free of change. Just remember not to use your notes as bookmarks, you may forget them there.

If you are interested in collecting bank notes or coins, the Charlton catalogues is a worthwhile investment as your key reference source.

Cheers
Jared

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Beadyeyez
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:43:25 pm »

Thanks for the input. I'll probably order the book. I cannot believe the market for some of the older AND more recent notes. I've browsed eBay for the past week and am amazed at some of the pricing on the older notes. I guess I will be spending a few or more evenings going through what I have and possibly looking to collect more as a hobby. Thanks again.
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:46:39 pm »

Welcome to the forum. Don't mean to be a dork about this but I am a newspaper editor... "Gifted" is not a word. You can use plain, old-fashioned English and use the word "given." It's okay...
I also like to see that you will buy a Charlton catalogue before you do much with your newly acquired collection.
As I tell anyone, buy the book before you buy the note (or coin, or whatever).
You note may be worth much more if you spend $20 for a million-dollar book....
cheers.. al
ShareBear
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 03:33:20 am »

Welcome to the forum. Don't mean to be a dork about this but I am a newspaper editor... "Gifted" is not a word. You can use plain, old-fashioned English and use the word "given." It's okay...
I also like to see that you will buy a Charlton catalogue before you do much with your newly acquired collection.
As I tell anyone, buy the book before you buy the note (or coin, or whatever).
cheers.. al

Hmm...  This is the general forum comments so I guess my comments would be appropriate.

Gifted is a word.  It means to have great talent or high intelligence.  ie.  Gifted children.  It is just used incorrectly in this context. 

"I also like to see that you will buy a Charlton catalogue before you do much with your newly acquired collection."  It is a proper sentence.

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 09:21:41 am »

I can tell that you are an editor by the typo in this sentence  ;)

Hmm...  This is the general forum comments so I guess my comments would be appropriate

This is a paper money forum. I think you are looking for the proper grammar website.  ::)

I hope my periods are in the right places.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:31:52 am by Gary_T »

Gary_T
Beadyeyez
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:01 pm »

Yea...I'm a truck driver/dispatcher and I don't deal with people that are too concerned with my grammar or spelling. Sorry to offend with my improper english.
 I do have this to say... on legal documents I have filed regarding the transfer of property from my father to myself "gifted" was definitely the term used. Possibly that term only applies to land? Anyhow.......

I have not picked up the Charlton book yet but after spending the majority of last night searching different auction sites and some sellers..I think I may have some notes with some value.

This hobby could become a little addicting as I found myself wanting to check the serials on all my pocket cash ... to find something in order ... or a radar...or some crazy prefix that makes the note worth more than face value. Like checking the lotto numbers. Thanks again for all the input.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:33:32 pm by Beadyeyez »
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:02:55 pm »

I do have this to say... on legal documents I have filed regarding the transfer of property from my father to myself "gifted" was definitely the term used. Possibly that term only applies to land? Anyhow.......

That's correct. In my industry (mortgages) the term Gifted/Gifting is used on a daily basis. Either the property was gifted or the down payment was gifted.

Regards,
MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
uscanuck1ca
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:47 pm »

As a CPA and Chartered Accountant I will attest that "gifted property" is the proper terminology for property received as a gift!  I concur with the other responders that the Charlton catalogue is money well invested in trying to establish a value for your notes.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 03:13:00 pm »

I am glad I am not the only person who finds the discussion about semantics to be extremely distasteful.  I wish the moderators would do a better job of keeping threads on topic and of limiting personal attacks against new members who don't speak the Queen's English.  Must have something to do with the CNA becoming the "Royal" RCNA. I would have hit the complaint button but it seems to be out of order ::)

No hay banda  
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 04:40:51 pm »

this was not intended to be a personal attack or anywhere near one... lighten up! You may notice that after a bit of intro, the response was right on topic.
Beadyeyez
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:02 am »

I went and picked up the book. GREAT BUY!!! More informative than I had imagined.

I have a question though. Looking at the values for the "solids" or "ladders" or any special serials that are valued the highest...are there people that work at the mint that could pull them out before they leave? Or possibly bank employees using simple math to determine what's within a certain stack of bills and taking out the higher value notes? What are the odds of just happening to come across some of these?  Before the general public has access...are most valued notes stripped out of circulation already?
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 11:48:07 am »

Congratulations on buying the book, you are on your way to enjoying this great hobby.

Great question.

Bank notes are not produced at the mint, they are printed at the printing companies, Canadian bank note Company or American bank note Company.

Yes it is very possible that employees at the production companies could pull out notes, but I highly doubt that this practice occurs at that stage of production these days with the tight security, as this practice would jeopardize the agreement with the Bank of Canada, as every single serial number would have to be accounted for.
I am sure the Bank of Canada requests that certain notes be pulled for their files or testing.

Yes it is quit possible to determine where a number would lay in the run. The printing companies knows the exact calculation of where a note would fall, so would be very easy for them to find. Scan the forum, and you will find articles about the sheet layout and numbering.

I have heard that a few special numbered notes are pulled out by armored car services employees often. I am sure this may be a grey area of their employee agreement, but not for me to say. So this would mean that yes special serial numbers notes can be found by the public.

Coming across special serial numbered notes is rather difficult, but very possible. Just don’t think you are going to find them all the time from your pocket change.

Finding special serial numbers notes are usually found when a person has access to a large quantity of notes, and with constant searching. But still, it may be years before you find something like a solid or ladder note. Radar notes are more common, and from time to time you will come across a replacement note.

Finding special serial notes in circulation is very tough, so your best bet would be to order new and seal banknote brinks at your local bank (there will be a change for this service).

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation

Login with username, password and session length