Author
Topic: Ebay shredded money listings  (Read 9430 times)
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:11:51 pm »

Is anybody else tired of looking at reams and reams of these listings?
There's over 2000 of them now
I know it says it's for an Ebay sanctioned charity but come on
They could just have one listing,,,one every day for that matter that said "get what ever you what written on the jar"
I go to Ebay as a buyer & seller,looker a lot and don't want my time wasted looking at this novelty crap.
The Nascar fun money is bad enough, at least there isn't 200 listings in a row
just my $0.05 worth

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:04:24 pm »

Is anybody else tired of looking at reams and reams of these listings?
YUP >:(

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:20:49 pm »

absolutely
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:35:52 pm »

There's over 2000 of them now

At first I thought you were exaggerating. But holy cow there are way too many- and its like SPAM to wade through. 

Shame on eBay.  They should have known better than let this happen- and they definitely should set up an entirely different category like "Fund Raiser Event" or "Novelty Items"

Ditto for the novelty money included cluttering their Cdn Paper money listings. 

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:49:58 pm »

People, people, listen...

I just came here from eBay and I feel your pain.  Yes, I had to load about 50 pages just to see the paper money listings from the past 24 hours.  The seller of the shredded currency is clearly in violation of eBay's rules concerning multiple listings of identical items.  I think eBay changed its rules last year so that identical items had to be listed together in one listing, eliminating those reams and reams of listings for Nascar notes and $1,000,000 novelty pieces.

HOWEVER, eBay does not monitor its own listings.  We have to report the listings.  Here's what you do.  When you see the listings for shredded currency, open one listing page.  Hit the link "Report Item" that appears right below the Seller Info box along the right side.  Fill out the form.  The fields you should include are "Listing Practices" from the first drop-down menu, "Duplicate Listings" from the second. Don't forget to click the blue "Send Report" button. It's that simple.

Those of you who want to argue that each listing is unique because each bottle has a different label, you're right, but the seller made the same batch of listings about a dozen times in the past 24 hours.  So you can find a bottle with the same slogan about once every couple of hours or so.  That is where the seller is in violation of the rules.

It's up to eBay users to police eBay's listings.  If you wait for someone else to do the work for you... you may be disappointed.

No hay banda  
AZ
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:17:12 pm »

Just a tip. To filter out all these "spam" shredded currency records use the following keywords on eBay:

canadian currency -shredded

The dash before "shredded" means exclude all listings that contain this keyword.
Tom Swift
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:05:05 am »

I wonder why the seller would think that by being obnoxious on eBay would get him more sales?
Bruxi
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:24:49 am »

The novelty money listings are ridiculous.  I wonder if there can be something done in an organized way to separate the crap out of the listings?  It hurts everybody.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »

The novelty money listings are ridiculous.  I wonder if there can be something done in an organized way to separate the crap out of the listings?  It hurts everybody.

Read comment number 5  ;)

Gary_T
Bruxi
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:43:40 pm »

Well I am going to call them as well.  Enough is enough.  When they hear that the community is not happy and you have a live person, you get more action. 
Bruxi
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 04:02:23 pm »

Just spoke to an ebay rep.  Turns out there are over 3,000 of these listings.  She wasn't happy about it.  She is going to file a report and see what they can do, but feel free to turn up the heat - the more complaints the better! 
ShareBear
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 05:34:59 pm »

I was wondering why would someone list the same item so many times.  The listing fees on ebay are not cheap. 

These listing were done on the day that ebay had a one day unlimited free listing special.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 05:37:10 pm »

Good on you, ibrooks.  Nice to hear someone else taking action.  I tried the reporting listing violations form and nothing happened.  I guess if you file too many at once, ebay's $7/hr geniuses just ignore you.  Thursday's free listing day on eBay brought out a number of sellers making identical listings, but nothing quite to the extent of the shredded money seller.

No hay banda  
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 08:03:29 pm »

I went ahead and took the advice offered on Reply #4 and reported it several times on Jan 12th- obviously it is not that simple to resolve since its in obvious violation of their rules (duplicate postings) and yet no one has done anything about it. ::)

Bruxi
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:05:59 pm »

I contacted Mr. Glass Jars directly via ebay messaging.  He was actually a pretty nice guy.  He said the community has been all over him (hey - when you drop 3,746 of these listings onto the Canadian & US Paper Money sections, you're sort of asking for it).

Anyway, after a few messages, he agreed to stop it with the jars.  He agreed to find a new category altogether.  I am optimistic based on his notes, but I guess we'll see if he follows through.

Login with username, password and session length