Author
Topic: unusual error  (Read 13994 times)
glassmancanada
« on: December 18, 2004, 12:44:17 am »

I found this burnt note in a brick of HOA 9917000. This is one of a 4 brick bundle bought from Scotia Bank in Edmonton. the others are HOA 9915000, 9916000, 9919000.
It appears that an element is used to dry the sheets as they are coming off the press before stacking them. The sheet was probably raised where this note was due to a jam or something. It doesn't look like the element actually touched the note but got close enough to burn and show on both sides.

Anyone have any thoughts on this error?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/glassmancanada/Auctions/DSC01188.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/glassmancanada/Auctions/DSC01196.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/glassmancanada/Auctions/DSC01197.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/glassmancanada/Auctions/DSC01199.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/glassmancanada/Auctions/DSC01200.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/glassmancanada/Auctions/DSC01201.jpg

« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 12:44:52 am by glassmancanada »
glassmancanada
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 01:10:10 am »

Anyone buying bricks please keep on the lookout for bricks of HOA in this high# range.

Maybe another one of these errors can be found.
Thanks
spamltd
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 01:37:45 pm »

I dont think it would be worth any premeum, its notlike it is misprinted or miscut. Its just a burnt note.
glassmancanada
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 04:33:29 pm »

Have you ever heard of or seen a burnt note?
I haven't.
This is a first.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 04:59:13 pm »

True, but as is the case with notes cut smaller than their regular size, this sort of thing could be done outside of the printing company.  I am not trying to imply that this is the case with your note, but what I am saying is that if a similar note surfaced, it is impossible to authenticate it as having happened during the printing process.  What is to say that someone at the bank where you got the note, or perhaps Securicor/Brinks/etc, didn't do this somehow?

In my opinion, the note would be nothing more than an oddity, and would have no premium attached.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
glassmancanada
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 05:32:46 pm »

I don't know how someone at brinks etc could do this.
These were 4 bricks banded together.
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 06:45:47 pm »

what BWJM means is that anyone at home can burn on uncirculated note and sell it for a premium claiming that its an error, much like those "miscut" notes or those notes missing their O.S.D's
In your case... you do have a true authentic error but its probably going to be a one time thing
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 12:43:57 pm »

I agree with the general concensus; an interesting "error", but not worthy of a premium.  Too easy to fake.

What I do find interesting is the clue it presents as to the printing process.  Is it possible that there is a "finish" that needs to be heat cured?  It seems odd to me (and just a little unsafe!), to have a heat curing step in a printing process, but who knows?

The only other thing I can think of is that the burn marks are from friction.  The sheet jammed somehow and a roller was allowed to rub in one spot for enough time to create heat.  This seems very unlikely to me, even if I did bring it up.

Anybody have more than my speculation?

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
glassmancanada
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 02:47:51 pm »

The point of this thread was to discuss what has been learned about the processes not to get peoples impression of its worth. I know well that it will probably never command a premium unless others are found but it does give us some insight into the printing proceedure. Somewhere in the printing of the sheets heat is used to dry the sheets and an element has to be the method.

Of course all of this is hinging on whether you (the public) believe that I actually found this error and didn't make it myself.
Those that know me have no doubt about its validity even though there is no way to prove it short of video taping the opening of the brick.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 06:41:18 pm »

I believe you found this "error", however, it would appear to be damage from the sound of your description.

Will a scan do it justice?

Rick
glassmancanada
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 07:48:04 pm »

I cant seem to get the pictures up but if you check the origional post you will find links to the pictures of the error.

Paul Wallis: I made the file smaller so that it will attach and brightened it a bit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 07:58:41 pm by admin »
glassmancanada
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 06:29:27 pm »

Thanks Paul for all your help in getting the pictures up.

You sent me an email with your thoughts on the error. Would you be kind enough to post what you sent me here?
Thanks
spamltd
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 04:53:57 am »

I find it intresting none the less. concedering the syhentic inks that may be used, heat cureing is a possibility, a sheet getting too close to the heat sourse is possible . I do not think this note is fabricatided by glassman  now we have a little more insight in to the printing processes
RS_dude
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 03:19:50 pm »

I've dealt with Glassmancanada, good honest person, l'd have to believe that he found this note in a stack. Great find Glassman, l hope another one surfaces.   RS_dude
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 10:49:34 pm »

It is interesting, as "heat set" ink fell out of use in the printing industry many years ago. Most inks now are "cured" with UV light.

Your note is interesting because it seems to indicate that one of the very last steps involves the application of some for of "liquid" that requires a physical heat process to dry it in a timely manner. I would suspect the UV ink layer, as ink that floureses under UV light would most likely not "cure" with UV light, hence heat would been needed. The UV ink layer has to be one of the last layers as well, as it must be on the top layer to be of any use.

With that said, it could also be the gold fleck layer. The "ink" must have a high solvent content to keep the metallic particles in suspension. Getting that solvent to disipate with heat makes some real sense.

Sorry to not have a real answer, just some thoughts.

Login with username, password and session length