Author
Topic: unusual error  (Read 15292 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 12:05:55 am »

Interesting thoughts, Paul. I think we'll keep you around a little longer; you seem to still have some usefulness around here. ;)

I'm kidding about that part. Anyway, it's always interesting to know more about how banknotes are printed. I'm not at all familiar with how much of anything is printed, except for computer printers (dot matrix, inkjet and laser) as well as photocopiers. Maybe one day I can get a private tour of the whole operation up there in Ottawa ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 10:42:40 pm »

True, but as is the case with notes cut smaller than their regular size, this sort of thing could be done outside of the printing company....

BWJM's mention of undersized notes brings up my question:

On a few occasions I have purchased UNC notes over the web and have found them to be 2-3 mm shorter in length or width.

If I later try to sell them, would they automatically be dismissed as "trimmed" notes?  If the BofC can cut oversized notes, it stands to reason that one or more notes from the same sheet will be undersized.

For example, the "regulation" size for the post-1937 notes is 6" by 2.75", however I've found that a LOT of the Multicolour and Birds notes are more than 6" long, therefore an equal number of notes should be less than 6" long.

Or (as I fear to be true): are undersized notes simply worth less than regular-sized notes, regardless of the reason that they are under size?  Could someone tell me?  Thanks.  :-/

Login with username, password and session length