Author
Topic: Transportation tokens  (Read 8380 times)
racoon
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:14:20 pm »

I wonder if anyone knows why the Montreal-Longueuil ferry tokens are not listed in the Charlton Catalog
of Canadian Colonial tokens as others like the Lauzon Ferry. I have such a token from the S.S.Vega which
after research, dates of 1892. Same token was sold at auction on icollector.com in 2010 for $250.00 Can + buyer's
premium + taxes, fees, etc... 
One is also in the Royal Canadian Mint collection from the information I got. 

It would be nice that Charlton would list such items.

Here is the picture of the token.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2606/ssvegafront.jpg]{http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2606/ssvegafront.th.jpg}[/url]
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »

I have a bridge token aswell but its a much more recent issue perhaps from the 1970's. Its a montreal Champlain bridge and Jacques Cartier bridge token. Back in the days it cost 25ยข (if i recall) to cross these bridges, they issued these tokens as equivalent to a quarter but i don't have anymore info then that. Unlike the previous post, i believe these particular tokens are only worth a few bucks if that. Any further info on these tokens would be greatly appreciated.  :)
racoon
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:20:17 am »

Your bridge token are pretty common.  They sell from $1.00 to $10,00 on e-bay.
Personnaly I have one token from Jacques Cartier Bridge and 1/2 roll from Champlain Bridge.
Champlain bridge stopped being a pay bridge in 1990.
for history of these bridges and tokens, see google and type :Wikipedia and search for jacques cartier bridge token.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:10:49 am »

I haven't seen that Charlton catalogue, but from its title, I gather it lists colonial period (ie pre-1867) tokens only? 1892 is definitely post-colonial.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
racoon
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 02:42:42 pm »

You are right !!  I forgot that listings ended in 1867.  Sooorry....    Thanks for the information.

I will try to find out if there is catalog that have post colonial tokens.

:(
JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »

Your bridge token are pretty common.  They sell from $1.00 to $10,00 on e-bay.
Personnaly I have one token from Jacques Cartier Bridge and 1/2 roll from Champlain Bridge.
Champlain bridge stopped being a pay bridge in 1990.
for history of these bridges and tokens, see google and type :Wikipedia and search for jacques cartier bridge token.
Thank you for your response racoon. As i had expected they aren't worth much, but im still hanging on to mine. Does anyone know if this token is listed in the charlton token catalogue?

Login with username, password and session length