Author
Topic: Great read in the Globe and Mail re: new $50 + a history of banknotes...  (Read 4473 times)
koremore

The author of the history of banknotes linked above should have done a little more research with respect to the "1969" series - hope everyone can spot the error.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything about the 1969 series in that link.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

Now I see what you're referring to. Thanks

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture

Since the source of the slideshow info is BOC.ca, I'm surprised they'd mix up an image of the 1979 note for the 1969 issue.

Since the INTRO of the "the History of Canadian bank notes" touches on the infamous Hyundai take down of "the biggest counterfeiting ring in Canadian history," I feel they could have added a slide (make a total of #8) with a photo of the first 2001 Canadian Journey $10 (#6 of #8).  I expected to see the $10 note at that point- but was surprised to see the $20 there instead.

Ultimately this $10 note (plus computer scanners/high res printers) was one of the reasons there was a record breaking 470 fake notes discovered/million in 2004.  The upgraded $20 (preferably slide #7 of #8) was indeed the BOC's remedy to this situation (with the updated 10's & 5's to follow).   I suppose this was an embarrassing moment in the history which they preferred to gloss over.  Not very objective reporting though.  ::)

Also, IMO: the $100 polymer note just looks so much better as an image on a computer screen then it does in real life (where it just appears so drab). The entire slideshow comes off like a pitch for the BOC technological innovations.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:41:05 pm by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length