Author
Topic: Dissapearing serial numbers on Frontier fifties!  (Read 4093 times)
Anhtonysoprano
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:41:25 pm »

Has anyone noticed on some of the polymer fifties the ink on the serial numbers is lighter on the left side? and When you hold the bill at a 180 degree or so, some of the digits dissapear.
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:59:16 pm »

Yes, I have also noticed this as well.
I wonder if they are still using two different serial number inks for the polymer notes as they did for the paper notes.
If you have the equipment (infrared cameras) please take of the back of the note and see if both serial numbers appear in the photo. I do not have this equipment, so I cannot test this out.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Don_D
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:23:46 pm »

i also noticed that on some notes the background colour is noticeably darker, if you line up the notes.
Al D
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:59:06 pm »

I have a bunch of AMA, AMB & AMD's. The main body of the AMA's & AMD's are the same but the main body of the AMB is lighter. However the SN area on the AMD is darker than the AMA's & AMB's. Also found AMA 6836551 with bleed through to the back from "Banque Du Canada" on the front.

RADARjourney
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 03:51:27 pm »

I sure have. It appears they are having problems with the inks. I have also noticed that the AHS range insert notes have bolder ink it stands out big time when you put them beside a regular note. I have also seen the tops of the number 8's filling in on the left serial numbers but not the right side number.
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:05:11 pm »

I've noticed the bolder ink on AHS/AHT and early AHU 50s.

If you feel the right side serial number, it feels like it's intaglio printed, whereas it's smooth on other notes.

I've also noticed one very odd anomaly with the AHT prefixes, it seems that the tactile dots on these notes are significantly weaker than later prefixes. I've encountered brand new bundles which barely had the dots raised, and ones from circulation where the dots have pretty much disappeared.

The AMFs I've seen recently, on the other hand have such strong tactile dots that they appear to pierce through or crack the ink on the front.

Login with username, password and session length